Saturday, April 25, 2020

Wednesday, Edinburgh-York

Another traveling day.  We had lunch at a truck stop kind of place.  I finally had my fish and chips.  The batter on the fish is like a beer batter and really soaks up the grease. In my opinion, the only decent French fries in the UK are at McDonalds.  The lady in the cafeteria asked me if I wanted courgettes or peas.  Fortunately, she pointed to the zucchini so I knew what courgettes were.  It was mixed with tomatoes and red peppers and had a stronger flavor than US zucchini.

Blurry bus photos.










No one could tell me, and I still don't know, the purpose of this basket. It was just standing there by the highway.


Some remains of Hadrian's Wall.




We arrived at York about 1:00, stopped at the hotel for a potty break and then the coach dropped us at a downtown location since the hotel is two miles away from town.  I spent the afternoon just puttering around and taking pictures of a flea market and the Shambles (used to be the street where all the butchers were located).  I found a pound store like our dollar stores and bought six pairs of socks for three for a pound (about $1.50 or 50 cents each).








Fun. Our thistles are weeds.













I love street lights. I should do a book of all the different kinds.





  
I looked at the Minster Cathedral (13th century) but they wanted a four and one-half pound “donation”.  That’s about $7.  I’ve seen enough cathedrals for a donation of my choice without paying admission for a not-very-exciting one. Knowing what I know now, I wish I'd gone.


I went to the local library and naturally found four used books to buy. One is a really fat hardback called Presidential Wives.  I’ll try to read it on the plane so I don’t have to carry it all the way home. And of course I found a paperback of the same book at the fall library book sale right here at home for $1.

We met the bus at a lovely park near the wall.





You can take a video tour of York HERE. Then you can take a tour with Rick Steves with a side trip to Bath HERE.

Dinner was buffet with a served starter.  My prawn cocktail turned out to be some lettuce with a scoop of bay shrimp and French dressing.  I chose roast beef with baby new potatoes, gravy and a couple of baby corns.  I also had the lemon filling from a slice of cheesecake and left the graham cracker crust.

We were supposed to be downtown instead of at the Holiday Inn so the hotel gave us a complimentary drink (beer, wine, or juice) and some chocolates.  I passed my wine to George and as I was the last one out, I scooped up all the remaining Ferrero Rocher chocolates. 

I was in bed by 9:30 and slept seven hours.










No comments:

Post a Comment