Saturday, April 25, 2020

Tuesday, Ediburgh


Today we had a city tour with stops at Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace.  A castle is identified as a fort or stronghold and a palace is a royal residence.  A castle can also be a royal residence but not necessary for the designation of “castle”.








How did he get up that high, and what's he doing there?


Would have loved having lunch here.


Holyrood is where Mary, Queen of Scots, was held captive.  It’s also where the royal family resides when in Edinburgh.  The queen is usually here for the royal visit the first week of July.  Wonder why she doesn’t come for the Tattoo?

What's the Tattoo? Click HERE for a sample. Don't leave too soon or you'll miss the dancers. 

And so long as we're in Scotland, you might as well learn how to wear your kilt. Click HERE, and is he wearing underwear?

I won't even bother with my photos of Holyrood; no photos allowed inside anyway. The website is one of the best I've seen, and keep digging into collections, events, etc. Better than you could ever see on any tour. Click HERE. Be sure to click on "Collection Trails" under the "Collections" drop-down.

Edinburgh Castle is the fortress on top of the hill where the Scottish crown jewels are kept and home of the Military Tattoo.  They also have a war memorial building with records of servicemen who died in the different wars, a former prison whose last prisoners were French, and some royal apartments including the room where James VI was born to Mary, Queen of Scots.

Again, my photos don't do it justice, plus some not allowed, so click HERE. Be sure to click on "See and do"; then "Tours, guides, and itineraries", then click on each tour for good photos. Then just wander around through the website for history, etc. I did get some photos while there of the great view.





We also saw the homes of Robert Louis Stevenson, Joseph Lister, and Alexander Graham Bell and returned to the hotel just before 1:00.  I dumped my carryon bag in my room and took off for the Monet exhibit.  The city is nicely laid out, but difficult walking as it is very hilly.  I stopped at a coffee shop for an egg-mayo sandwich (egg salad in the US) and a cup of tomato soup.  I wish I knew their secret to making soup over here.  It’s always delicious and always pureed. And I got carried away with photos in the park.






Off to Monet.


The Monet exhibit was a collection from all over the world.  I specifically enjoyed the way they displayed paintings of the same scene side by side.  Many times Monet painted the same subject from the same spot but in different colors because of the time of year or the time of day.  I’m so pleased when I happen on a special exhibit of which I had no prior knowledge – just a lucky find.  Monet was one of these surprises.

My next stop was the National Gallery and what a stunning place!  The carpets were forest green and the walls were cranberry, with lots of carved wood and an absolutely elegant marble and wood bathroom (toilet, if you’re European).  Some paintings were displayed in two rows as the ceilings are very high, an effective technique because these rooms housed large paintings, many of them portraits. At least click HERE, and get a look at the wonderful way they've displayed the collection - just wait and the show will start. Then you can go exploring to see some of the collection.

I was thrilled to see another Vermeer; the one of Jesus in the home of Mary and Martha, which is totally different from all the other paintings.  The size is about four times his other paintings and his only painting with a religious theme. Click HERE. 

The bottom floor was all Scottish artists with a painting of Mary, Queen of Scots, on the ship looking wistfully back at France as she was leaving to come back to Scotland.  Also, a painting of James, the musician and friend of Mary’s, as he was being killed in her room at Holyrood.  (We saw the blood stains which leached into the wooden floors).

I saw only part of the Royal Museum due to time restrictions.  I saw the ceramics, glass, silver, china, and a special exhibit of household items from the beginning of the 1900’s to the 1960’s. The millennium clock was a monstrosity designed by several of Scotland’s leading artists.  The sign said that the clock would only operate at 10:00, 2:00, and 4:00, but for some reason, the music started at 4:50, so I ran over to watch; wheels started turning, a big silver pendulum started swinging back and forth, monkeys ran back and forth, and horse heads at the top four corners began to spin.  This is the only time I’ve broken the rules in a museum, but I turned off my flash and snapped a picture.


Time has passed, and now you can see and hear it via internet. Click HERE. I'm beginning to wonder if actual travel is obsolete. Virtual travel is quicker, you see more, you're not limited by time or weather (or viruses), and it's free! Click HERE, and you'll see what I mean. Want more? Click HERE.

For the museum's collections, etc. click HERE.

My last stop was the Museum of Scotland.  The museum is housed in a new building, which is stark and modern, made of golden brown stone blocks.  Some round towers help to maintain the old castle look.  This museum is dedicated to Scottish history.  I saw Bonnie Prince Charley’s traveling canteen (engraved silver, of course) and a replica of Mary, Queen of Scots’ sarcophagus (the original is in Westminster Abbey). The Museum of Scotland has now been merged with the Royal Museum to become the National Museum of Scotland. I couldn't take photos of the canteen, but click HERE. Again, why do I travel, and if I'm going to travel, why take my camera?

By the time I walked back to the hotel, my feet were on fire.  I had a chance to give them a brief rest before we left for our Scottish dinner with entertainment.  Our first course was Scotch broth, a combination of lamb, barley, carrots, and onions, and much better than the stuff out of a can made by Campbells.

Then the haggis was piped in and sliced open with a long silver sword.  Authentic haggis is a sausage made from whatever is left over when the sheep is butchered plus oatmeal, onions, and spices and cooked in the stomach.



There it sat, all dressed up.


Then the attack!


For images of haggis from the internet, click HERE.

I’m not sure how they make it today, but it was definitely cooked in some sort of casing like we find on Polish sausage at the market.  It’s served by scooping out with a spoon and accompanied by mashed potatoes (tatties) and mashed turnips (neeps).  You put a little of each on your fork so that you get the three tastes mingled together. I found it to be quite tasty and I’d been served a large portion.  I ate it all.  Needless to say, I left my salmon, potatoes, vegetables, and bread relatively untouched.  Dessert was a strange cream mousse with oatmeal folded in and served over raspberries and accompanied by a shortbread finger.

The “entertainment” was an accordionist, a violinist, a drummer, bagpipes, a female singer, and three young lady dancers.  All were dressed in native dress; each in a different color plaid.  I left shortly after the “show” started, grateful that the hotel was just a few steps away. 
 

A lovely hotel and quiet.








I didn’t even attempt to read.  Lights out at 9:30.

To be continued. . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment