Monday, March 1, 2021

Cross Your Fingers

Thoughts and Quotes: If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. So says Robert the Bruce.

And I have; believe me I have. I've worked hours on making eBooks, but with so many problems, and little help from KDP (the Kindle publishing arm of Amazon). 

Today I received the new Kindle Fire 7 I ordered because of the great sale, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Pictures were bleeding, paragraphs weren't indenting. Can it be that my only problem has been my really old Kindle Fire 8.9 which, according to Amazon, has only been receiving basic updates, is showing my books in an old format and that was the problem? 

Now, with fingers crossed, I'm ready to try again. I trashed all my old files to redo everything in Fixed Format, so now I'm back to square one, but feeling some optimism. Stay tuned.

I just wanted to drop in and say "hello", but I do have a few things to share.

We've had snow! This was February 17. My new neighbor, Jeremy, cleared my steps and sidewalk before I had a chance to tell him that my motto is "When there's snow, I don't go", and that neighbor Bud would clear a path so I could take out my trash cans. And then look what happened. Covered again. Trash pickup was delayed for a day.

On February 18, the sun was trying to peek through, and the kitties were out and about. Just look at the tracks.

Tobin decided to find a spot on the raised garden blocks.

But Flower just settled down into the snow.

Look in the lower right corner and you can see the top of the hedge. Look at the horizonal line at the top of the back of the bench, and you can tell we got lots of snow. The orange is a flag I put to mark my sprinkler head.

The inside kitties were fascinated, but happy to remain inside.

Then on February 19, Bud came with his magic snow machine and cleared my walk and drive. The snow melted on the streets, and I was good to go. The next day, Mim and I took Bev to lunch for her birthday, but I'm out of practice, so I forgot to take photos.

Today was sunshine and 50's, so I went over and had my oil changed, dropped my glass at recycle (the only thing I can't put in my recycle bin which gets picked up biweekly), and dropped my mail at the post office. I was stopped behind this car, and I want one of these license frames.

I renewed my driver's license last week, and I asked how long it would be good, because they dropped from six to three years somewhere along the line as I aged. I was told that in Missouri, you can continue three year renewals so long as you can pass the eye exams and the "identify the traffic signs" test. That was happy news, as I don't live near public transportation.

And other good news. My Black and Decker cordless hand vacuum (a must for cat hair) will no longer hold a charge. Walmart told me to call Black and Decker. My vacuum had a two-year warranty, and I purchased it in April of 2018. 

This was the reply.

We‌ ‌are‌ ‌sorry‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌inconvenience‌ ‌with‌ ‌your‌ ‌vacuum.‌ ‌We‌ ‌are‌ ‌happy‌ ‌to‌ ‌assist‌ ‌you.‌ ‌
For‌ ‌us‌ ‌to‌ ‌provide‌ ‌you‌ ‌better‌ ‌assistance,‌ ‌please‌ ‌let‌ ‌us‌ ‌know‌ ‌the‌ ‌following‌ ‌information:‌ ‌
 ‌
Your‌ ‌physical‌ ‌address.‌ ‌
Date‌ ‌code.‌ ‌It‌ ‌starts‌ ‌with‌ ‌"20XX‌ ‌-‌ ‌XX".‌ ‌
Photo‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌product.‌ ‌
Photo‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌receipt‌ ‌where‌ ‌it‌ ‌shows‌ ‌the‌ ‌date‌ ‌of‌ ‌purchase.‌ ‌
How‌ ‌long‌ ‌have‌ ‌you‌ ‌been‌ ‌using‌ ‌this‌ ‌product?‌ ‌
 ‌
If‌ ‌you‌ ‌have‌ ‌any‌ ‌other‌ ‌questions,‌ ‌simply‌ ‌reply‌ ‌to‌ ‌this‌ ‌e-mail.‌ 

Daniel
Black+Decker Customer Care. 

So I complied, and was told they'd send me a new vacuum, but it will not have a warranty. Oh, well. Better than nothing. 

I didn't have a receipt, only the charge showing on my credit card bill since I ordered it online. I called Walmart, and told her the info from my bill, and in minutes she emailed me a copy of the receipt. Way to go, Walmart!

Moral of the story: Keep all receipts on things under warranty, and always print out the invoice when ordering online to keep in your files.

I received the second half of my Harry David Christmas gift from my kids. It came in a darling basket: 3 grapefruit, 4 tangerines, six oranges.


I'm eating citrus everyday, so gold stars for Patsy, who's getting her vitamin C. Hoping to find time to make Orange-Almond Scones tomorrow.


I have a local family owned market that's really good about putting produce on sale, rather than letting it go bad. This week they had strawberries for 69 cents. I bought four packages and made freezer jam. I used to buy liquid pectin, but my jam wouldn't set the way I wanted. I switched to dry, and love the result. It's so easy to make, and tastes so fresh. Here's the recipe.

STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM

3-1/4 cups crushed strawberries (buy four 1-lb containers)

 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

 4-1/2 cups sugar

 1 box Sure Jell MCP Premium Fruit Pectin

 Put the strawberries in a large bowl.

 Stir in lemon juice.

 Stir pectin into strawberries. Mix thoroughly.

 Let strawberries sit 30 minutes, stirring every five minutes.

 Slowly add sugar, mixing thoroughly. Continue stirring until dissolved.

 Pour into glass jars or plastic containers with lids.

 Leave on counter for 24 hours.

 Refrigerate for up to three weeks, or freeze up to one year. Thaw in refrigerator.

 Note: For a lower sugar version, buy the low sugar pectin. Each box of pectin also comes with these instructions.


The great thing about freezer jam is that you don't have to seal it, so no special jars, or you can use plastic containers, if you wish.

I also wanted to share the best way I've found for cooking spaghetti squash.

TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH

Use a sharp knife to poke a few holes in the squash where you want to cut. It should look like you’ve drawn a dotted line lengthwise on the squash when you’re finished.

Place your squash in the microwave for 5 to 6 minutes. Let it cool slightly before removing from the microwave.

Cut along the dotted line.

Heat oven to 350°.

Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Rub cut sides of each squash half with olive or salad oil. 

Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 

Place cut side down on parchment. 

Bake 45 minutes.

Let cool slightly before pulling the strings with a fork.

Tidbits: What's in season in March. This month's word is "green", and the produce got the message. Lots of green.

Artichokes

Asparagus

Avocados

Broccoli

Brussels Sprouts

Cauliflowr

Chicory

Grapefruit

Lettuce

Kiwi

Leeks

Lemons

Limes

Mushrooms

Oranges

Parsnips

Pea

Pineapple

Radishes

And what to buy in March: Chocolate, luggage, cleaning supplies, perfume, and this is Frozen Food Month, so frozen foods should be on sale.

Nothing else new here. I'll check in again soon, but mostly I'll be back to the books, so nothing exciting. Hang in - we'll get there.

EAT YOUR GREENS

AND APPLES - ALWAYS APPLES

GET SOME SUNSHINE

AND EXERCISE

SING A HAPPY TUNE

AND KEEP SMILING

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE















1 comment:

  1. Heres hoping the old kindle was the problem and that your new one will make everything easier. I have never made freezer jam before, I must give that a try.

    ReplyDelete