Sunday, July 21, 2019

Finally! 7-21-2019

Thoughts and Quotes: Who needs excitement when normal is so wonderful? Me

Things are back to (almost) normal. I still have a hole in my kitchen ceiling, a hole where a nail went through in my bathroom ceiling, a crack in the family room ceiling from the vibrations on the roof, the water stains on the family room ceiling from the leaks which started this whole thing, and lots of patches of grass which burned when packs of shingles were lying on it. But this too shall pass. At least the new roof is on and the cleanup is finished. For two days my yard looked like a war zone. The quality control inspector came and put the finishing touches, like blowing out the gutters, putting the patio furniture back, etc. and hopefully the repairs will be finished next week. And again I keep thinking, "Better now than when I get old". Dream on, Girl. Old is here.

So to celebrate back to normal, I did what's normal - I went out and bought some dishes. Well, I couldn't help it. I was right in the area of a Goodwill, and I was so happy to be out and about. And wait until you see all the treasures.

Thrifting: I hit the jackpot on napkins. I can tell that the flowered, peach, and lavender ones are new. The peach ones were 25 cents each (green sticker), and the others were 50 cents each.




Not new, 50 cents each, but I don't have this color.


Hand embroidered and 50 cents each


I couldn't resist these sweet hollyhock dishes - 50 cents each - no dinner plates or cups and saucers or I'd have made a set. Found only four of each.


This dish is not very big - Royal Albert - $2


Can you believe? A ceramic potato with a ceramic ladle - $1. Perfect for the Farmer's Market table, then for sour cream when I serve baked potatoes with a casual table.


Two little dishes - about 4-1/4" diameter - to use for butter pats, condiments, or chocolates/mints on a tea table - 50 cents each. The back says, "Avon 1982" "Happy Holidays" but there's nothing which looks like Christmas. "Tis a puzzlement." 


These are actually snack plates with an indentation for a teacup. There were no cups, but I probably have plain white cups which fit, or I can use clear glass oyster cups for condiments - 50 cents each.


And my best bargain - $1 for the set. They're rather small. Perfect for a tea table.


And I finally found an infuser which fits some of my pretty tea mugs for 50 cents. Now I can use loose tea when I want only a cup, not a pot.



And the cutest little planner, emphasizing reading. I can't decide whether to start it August 1 or wait until 2020 - $1. How cute is this?


A place to write in titles



Weekly planners


New releases this month (yes, there's a list on line - click HERE). And a monthly To Be Read list.


Book reviews



Tasting: My Summer Bucket List says to make a new salad each week. I'm a week behind, but here's this week.

HAWAIIAN SALAD

8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked, drained, and rinsed in cold         water
2 cups ham or Spam cubes
1 20-oz. can pineapple tidbits
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped green onion, tops only
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt

Drain pineapple and reserve 1/2 cup juice

Mix juice with mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Set aside.

Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and chill.

Note: More authentic with Spam as Hawaii is the state that consumes more Spam than any of the others.


Things that Grow: My poor garden. Shingles are tough on gardens - I didn't go out there even once for over two weeks. The weeds have taken over, but I salvaged some baby Romas and some cherry tomatoes. I threw 26 very large, and some even yellow, cucumbers over the back fence. Oh, well. Maybe next year. There's a huge zucchini out there, but I was chased in by mosquitos. Will try the Bounce dryer sheet tomorrow and investigate.


Thank You: To Brother Bill who called me Saturday night to see if I'd like some Missouri peaches. I said, "Sure." I got peaches. Will report next week.


The Pepper and Pals Report: Nothing new. Sweetie Face kitten is growing up fast. Pepper and Stormy go for annual shots tomorrow. I fixed a corn on the cob and planned to eat it in front of the TV in the family room. I checked through the window to see of Fred had shown up for dinner. He had, and all the food was gone, so I put my corn on the coffee table and went out to get him some food. When I returned, Stormy Weather Pretty Paws was licking the butter off my corn. 

Tuesday at 6:30 a.m. until Friday at 6:30 p.m. was roof time, so not much else to report. Until next week -

STAY COOL

AND HYDRATED

STICK TO SALADS

AND APPLES

AND ICED TEA

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE





2 comments:

  1. I am glad the repairs are finally over and that you are feeling better and have been able to get our and about. Another great haul at the thrift store, loved those hand stitched napkins. Those peaches looked so tasty, looking forward to finding out what you did with them. Loved the planner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel these days Auntie! I love all of your shopping finds, as always. That potato boat is adorable! Lol

    All and all not too bad of a garden haul for someone down and out so long. Great job Ms Green Thumb! And happy kitties are doing okay -minus them stealing food from you. Haha 😉
    Blessing and love to you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete