Monday, November 12, 2018

11-12-2018 Theme Dining

Thoughts and Quotes: Multi-tasking gives the illusion of competence and productivity, but it is actually a detriment to your productivity. 
                                                            From the Examined Existence Blog

To do two things at once is to do neither.  Publiius Syrus

If you chase two rabbits, you will catch neither one.  Russian Proverb

Success demands a singleness of purpose.  Vince Lombardi

Be like a postage stamp - stick to one thing until you get there.  Josh Billings

People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are.   Steve Jobs

Multi-tasking is the opportunity to screw up more than one thing at a time. 
                                                                                 Unknown

When we think we're multi-tasking we're actually multi-switching. That is what the brain is very good at doing - quickly diverting its attention from one place to the next. We think we're being productive. We are, indeed, being busy. But in reality we're simply giving ourselves extra work.  Mike Harris

Multi-tasking is great in the kitchen when you are trying to time the chicken to be ready at the same times as the potatoes. But do not assume it is a great way to manage a workday.   Joanne Tombrakos

So my new watchwords are FOCUS and DISCIPLINE. That being said, hold on while I go throw in a load of laundry. I'll be right back.

Thrifting: Yes, I've been at it again. Well, I had to get out and vote, didn't I? And the thrift store is just around the corner and down a few blocks and it was Senior Day.

A placemat I can use in the middle of the table - 12 cents. The little spot at the bottom of the photo is Stormy Weather Pretty Paws Photobomber.


Napkin rings for 20 cents each. 


Pumpkin napkin rings for 20 cents each. Heavy metal. Copper? 


They made me want a do-over on the Pumpkin Patch table. I used my other pumpkin napkin rings for the Bountiful Harvest tablescape.


So I didn't have napkin rings for Pumpkin Patch theme dinner. Maybe a do-over later.


Another day I had to go the othe post office, and The Attic is right next door. I hadn't been there for awhile and it was such a nice day, so I dropped in and bought these for $3 total. And I'd just finished the photos of the Hurry-Up Holly theme dinner. Oh, well. I'll use them later. (Sigh). Friend Linda taught me that sigh. Don't you love it? But she knows how to put some little asterisks instead of parentheses. She really knows her way around a computer.


Joey and I went to the church bazaar at Jean's church. She's the one who can make masterpieces from little pieces of paper and cardstock. A lot was sold before we got there, but here's a sample. Calendars.


Gift card holders



Journals and such



I bought four purple candles and some embossing folders. 

Tasting: And then we went to Relics to celebrate my Auntie's birthday. We always go to a place she would have chosen, and she would have loved Relics because you not only can find a lady lunch and a variety of hot teas, but lots of treasures to buy as well. The "tea room" is inside a huge building of treasures, some a little upscale from the thrift stores. It is not frequented by faceless and headless people; I don't post recognizable folks without their permission.





We both chose the same lunch; Florentine quiche with potato corn chowder.


Then we had cranberry-walnut scones and hot tea.


I bought two necklaces for $2 each (cheaper than my Nixa thrift store).



Autumn cookie cutters for $3



Graduated star cutters for $1.50



A lead crystal Princess House candleholder for $2 to go with my other two. The trick is finding the smaller tapers.




Talented People: Linda made these cute pound cakes in a jar. She never does anything slap-dash - it's always elegant.


She said the tags came from Brown Dog Primitives. I'd never heard of it, but Googled it and crafters, take note. Take a look at this website. Click HERE. They now call themselves Digital Antiques. Try searching Brown Dog Primitives on Pinterest and you'll find a treasure trove of goodies.

The Pepper and Pals Report: Pepper and Stormy continue to flop in the kitchen floor every time I go in there - is there a treat for us? 


Pepper hadn't made it in yet.


And Stormy continues to destroy her toys. The cat bed used to be over by the chair. I don't know how she dragged it this far.


Her mousies become unrecognizable.


The outdoor kitties don't like the tub redneck kittyhouses. I don't know if it's the smell of plastic or we cut the holes too small. If they go inside at all, they choose the carrier I put back out. I ordered a heated kitty bed which should arrive Wednesday. It holds two, and if they like it, i'll order another.

A new kitty has shown up, and he looks like an elongated Stormy. He and Freddie were sleeping together in the carrier, so I guess he's been accepted into the family. Another vet bill for neutering if I can trap him.

The Weather: Our beautiful leaves are gone and the tree trimmers scalped the trees in the islands. Looking bleak and now it's snowing. It started to stick on John's roof, but now it's melting and making puddles to freeze tonight.


The insightful neighbors around the cul de sac put their Christmas decorations up over the weekend. Just in time.


Boo-hoo. I love the autumn leaves. This is the photo Steg took from his deck a few days ago. Click HERE and scroll down. The header photo was taken by his neighbor from his deck. This is my sub-division, but I don't live by the lake. I'm near the back by a hayfield.

Theme Dining: First, here's the Hurry-Up Holly dinner. This is a simple to fix meal during the busy Christmas season. The rolls are from the frozen section at the market, and can be baked in just a few minutes. I got the spiced apple rings from the market. The cake can be baked one day, frosted the next, and served the next. Or you can make the Quick Cobbler or just get cookies and ice cream at the market. Of course, if you're doing this for family instead of guests, you don't need invitations, menus, and party favors. Isn't it a thrill to get an invitation in the mail? I'm so excited to get back to entertaining.

The Invitations (quick and easy)


The Table




The Menu


The Food




The Favors

I had lunch for a garden club I joined when I first moved here, and these were the favors.


Some friends got these door mats and some got earrings.


The Recipes

The Magic Pan Salad is already on the drop-down menu above. For the Cranberry Pork Chops, use the Cranberry Chicken recipe on the drop-down, and bake a little longer if chops are thick.

HUMMINGBIRD CAKE
Named after an alcoholic drink from Jamaica

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1-1/2 tsps vanilla
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, lightly drained
2 cups chopped bananas
1-1/2 recipes Cream Cheese Frosting
Half pecans for decorating

Heat oven to 325°.

Grease and flour three 8” or 9” round cake pans.

Mix dry ingredients and then stir in chopped pecans.

Stir together by hand in another bowl: eggs, oil, vanilla, pineapple, and banana.

Fold into dry ingredients until well mixed.

Bake 25-30 minutes – do not overbake.


CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3-3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Blend cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer.

Beat in the vanilla.

Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.

Theme Dining: I've finished the first year of Everyday Theme Dining, so here's a little recap. Sometimes the theme is based on the food, sometimes the table, and sometimes both. I have one in the next group based on the color (I'm Going Green). You've seen some of this before. I'll show you only the tables and menus. If you see a recipe you'd like, just email me at bennittpk@gmail.com.

February (Buon Appetito), July (Say Howdy Dinner), and September (Back to School) are dinners I did for my bachelor brothers and nephew. They're rather simple, because most men are more interested in food than frills.

January - Winter Wonderland







February - Buon Appetito





March - Tulipmania Brunch





April - Celebration of Citrus





May - Strawberry Lunch





June - Beachcomber Brunch








July - Say Howdy Dinner





August - Coastal Cuisine






September - Back to School





October - I Heard it Through the Grapevine







November - Pumpkin Patch








And you saw December - Hurry-Up Holly above.


I'm sure you've had enough of me by now, but like Douglas McArthur (I shall return) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (I'll be back).


BETTER BUY YOUR TURKEY

AND SOME CRANBERRIES

AND STUFF FOR PUMPKIN PIES

DON'T FORGET PICKLES AND OLIVES

MAYBE SOME SPARKLING GRAPE JUICE

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE













1 comment:

  1. What a joy to visit and scroll though those beautiful themes, you are inspirational. I am going to try and recreate a Winter Wonderland themed table, it was stunning.

    ReplyDelete