Sunday, January 6, 2019

1-6-2019 Thanks for the Memories

Thoughts and Quotes: Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heartwarming.  Joseph B. Wirthlin

Thankfully this is true, because our Very Exclusive Cooking Club will now be only memories. Bev has been so overloaded, she's unable to even sleep, so has decided to give up the VECC. 

This is our final lunch.

VERY EXCLUSIVE COOKING CLUB
Thursday, January 3, 2019 at Patsy’s

Table



Menu
(We were also celebrating the New Year)

Ham with Grilled Pineapple Rings

Black-eyed Peas
(for luck)

Rice
(for health)

Southern Collard Greens
(for money)

Sweet Potatoes

Pickled Cucumbers and Onions

Corn and Corn Muffins

Faux Champagne
(sparkling apple juice)

Lemon Pudding Cake

Hot Tea

Food



Recipes

BLACK-EYED PEAS

3 cups dried black-eyed peas (this is a 1 lb. bag)
2 ham hocks
1-1/2 large yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tsps salt (1 Tbs)
1-1/2 tsps pepper
1-1/2 tsps dried parsley (optional)
8-10 cups water

Soak peas overnight.

Put all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Keep checking for doneness.


COLLARD GREENS, SOUTHERN STYLE

8 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb ham, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 32-oz containers chicken broth
2 1-lb packages collard greens, washed, stems removed, and chopped into small pieces
2-1/4 oz cider vinegar
2 tsps sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Cook bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until almost crisp.

Add onion and sauté 8 minutes.

Add ham and garlic and sauté 1 minute.

Stir in broth and remaining ingredients.

Cook 2 hours or to desired degree of tenderness.


CUCUMBERS AND ONIONS

Cucumbers, peeled and sliced
Onions, sliced and separated into rings
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt

Mix marinade and stir or heat to dissolve sugar and salt.

Pour over cucumbers and onions.

Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.

Note: If I use English cucumbers, I leave them unpeeled.

Note: You can also add celery sticks if you wish.


CORN AND CORN MUFFINS

1 14 oz pkg corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
1 scant cup cream-style corn
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)

Heat oven to 425°.

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and stir to blend.

Pour into a greased 12-muffin cup tin.  They’ll be about 2/3 full.

Bake 12-15 minutes.


LEMON CUSTARD PUDDING CAKE

6 Tbs flour
6 Tbs butter, melted
2-1/2 cups sugar, DIVIDED
4 eggs, SEPARATED
1-1/4 cups milk
Zest of one lemon
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Heat oven to 350°.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, butter, and 2 cups sugar.

Beat the egg yolks with a fork and add, along with milk and lemon zest. Mix well.

Add lemon juice.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.  Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar.

Fold into batter.

Pour into a 2 qt. baking dish or individual ramekins.  Place in shallow pan of hot water.

Bake 55-60 minutes.

Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar.


Party Favors
(Sparkling Apple-Peach Juice)


The End

Our very first VECC lunch was December of 2013 at Bev’s. Mim joined us in February of 2014, so for five years we’ve been Les Trois Gourmets, just like Julia, Simone, and Louisette.

The inviting tables, the delicious food, the little gifts we’ve shared – truly a remarkable and rewarding experience. I’ll treasure the memories forever.

The New Year: I've started the big clear out. I told someone I'm getting ready to die. No, I'm fine. I just figured it was time to get rid of some of the "stuff" so my kids won't have to deal with it. 

I emptied the top drawer of a file cabinet in the garage. It's all the pamphlets, etc. I've picked up in my travels plus tons of wonderful photos from my world traveler friend David. I couldn't just pitch them. I'm going through David's photos once more, and seeing the world through his eyes. I saw China through my eyes, and that's the tour where I met David. We also did an Elderhostel program in Arkansas together, and took a tour to Alaska, where we were joined by my kids on the cruise part of the trip.

I won't pitch my travel phamplets until I go through them once more, but I freed up the drawer, allowing me to move things around and finally move the new pink flower dishes to the garage.

Cooking Club lunch took a couple of days of cleaning and cooking, but I did start back on the Zone for most of the days. Here are some samples I was trying to explain to my friend Audell, who was interested.

NOT THIS: This was my last breakfast on 1-1 before Zone time. Yes, three biscuits. Yes, fried potatoes. It's my last chance, afterall.


A Zone breakfast: 7/8 cup cottage cheese; 1/2 orange, 1/2 pear, 1/2 cup grapes. Very filling.


A Zone lunch: 1-1/2 oz ham, 1/2 oz cheese, 1 egg; lettuce, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup cucumber slices, celery, 1 slice 9 carb bread toasted. Dressing on the side, sort of. I don't even bother counting fat - it's balancing the protein and carbs that counts for me.


Not that healthful, but I didn't want to waste it and it fits the Zone; 1 hot dog bun, 2 weiners, mustard (free), 1/2 cup chili, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 7 potato chips.


I messed up on cooking club day, but back on the Zone and not feeling neglected at all. My breakfast this morning: 1 oz ham, 1 oz cheese, 1 egg, scrambled together; 1/2 tomato, 1 9-carb slice of toast, 2 oz apple juice. Avocados count as fat, which I ignore.




Thank yous: For my belated Christmas card, handmade by Tammy.


And to Danny and Annie for my salt and pepper shakers - just like our mother had. She also had a matching cookie jar.


Thrifting: I bought it new at Hobby Lobby, and I had a 40% off coupon. Wait - there's more. Remember the pretty flatware with ceramic flower handles from last week? There was a thin sheet of spongy material separating the pieces in the lid from the pieces in the box, and the metal rubbed on the ceramic and made marks I couldn't remove. I decided that if they're that easily marred, I'd better just return them, and I did. So - the tray was only 1/3 the cost of the flatware - Voila! Thrifting for sure.


It's metal, and I saw it on the Tea Cups and Cupcakes Group Facebook page. How could I resist?

And I believe I'm in Divine Order, because Hobby Lobby was jammed, and so was the parking lot; but this is the photo I took from my car when I parked - right by the door.


And these are pillows and wall decor I saw which I thought had cute sayings for card makers.





Tasting: Niece Sarah sent this link which I thought I'd pass along. Who doesn't like making soup? Click HERE.

I didn't understand why the soup didn't match the state (except LA and NM), but then I realized that it's the winning recipe from each state.

And while I was dinking around in cyberspace, I found the 50 iconic dishes from each state. Click HERE. Scroll down to the second map. It's easier to read. Scrapple sliders, anyone?

Tidbits: I just threw out an old almanac, but some of the things are so cute, I just have to share some of them each week.

Weather Lore: January 13 is St. Hilary Day - the coldest day of the year.

Things People Actually Said During Job Interviews: "What do you want me to do if I cannot walk to work if it's raining? Can you pick me up?"

Things We Can Learn From the Movies: The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.

That's all for this week, Darling People.

TAKE A WALK EACH DAY

STICK TO YOUR HEALTHFUL EATING PLAN

BE SURE TO INCLUDE APPLES

TAKE SOMEONE TO LUNCH

OR BAKE THEM SOME COOKIES

TUCK THOSE PRECIOUS MEMORIES AWAY TO HAUL OUT ON A DREARY DAY

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE












4 comments:

  1. Hello Dearest!
    Happy New Year to Teas and T's. ;) So sorry to hear about VECC, but sure sounds like you gals made the most of those wonderful years. And such wonderful food and recipes! Was missing blogland so it feels good to be catching up on your posts.
    I finally joined the blogland family and posted for the first time since last october! Crazy. I may not post more than once a week for a while, but just nice to be back. Look forward to more fun visiting you here in 2019. ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that you're back.

      Delete