Sunday, January 13, 2019

1-13-2019 Beef Stew

Thoughts and Quotes: Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment. Jim Rohn

Can I have a do-over and start my New Year again tomorrow? Life has been a little hectic the last couple of weeks, and I'd like to try again. With discipline.

A lot going on around here, but not much to share. I can teach you an easy way to make beef stew. I'll give you the ingredients for one recipe, but my photos are for a double recipe, which makes enough for a large extended family and the neighbors on both sides. In other words, A LOT OF STEW.

Heat the oven to 250 degrees.

Since I make a LOT, I use my turkey roaster. You can use a stew pot or Dutch oven, but if it's really heavy, you might need to cut your ingredients into small pieces for all to get done.

Start with 2 lbs. chuck roast or tri-tip, cut up


Sprinkle on 1 envelopes of dry onion soup mix and 3 Tbs quick tapioca


Add 1 bunch carrots, chopped


 Add 2 onions, rough chopped 


1 cup chopped celery


2 medium potatoes, cubed


1 cup frozen corn


1 cup frozen peas


2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes; do not drain


Sprinkle on 2 tsps sugar, salt and pepper to taste

Stir it up


Put the lid on and stick it in the oven. Bake FIVE hours and
DO NOT PEEK

You'll get this-


Add a salad and some rolls, and Voila! dinner. If you don't have two ovens, you'll need to make the dessert the day before if it needs to be baked. I was busy, so I made tapioca pudding with whipped cream (hey, the box was sitting there, so why not?) while the stew baked.

Tales: I just finished reading My Life in France by Julia Child. If you've seen the movie, Julie and Julia, you'll love the book. If you haven't seen the movie, get it from your library. You'll love it. Then read the book.


The Pepper and Pals Report: I order cat food from Walmart and they deliver it to my door. They must have an abundance of brown packing paper, because they stuff it into every little nook and cranny. I cut it in pieces and use it for packing dishes. Stormy loves to help.


They never get this close before one starts chasing the other. I think it was because I wasn't around, so no jealousy.


Tea Tray Tuesday: I used my pretty new tray and posted this on the Tea Cups and Cup Cakes group Facebook page this week. Several seemed happy to see something healthful for afternoon tea (apples and Monterey Jack cheese).


Thank yous to: Steg and Sally for this box of yummies - one of my favorites.


And to Brother Bill for all of these CD's and tapes he got from a yard sale.




Tidbits: More from the almanac.

Things People Actually Said During Job Interviews: "What is two week's notice? I've never quit a job before - I've always been fired."

Things We Can Learn From the Movies: If  large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.

That's all I have for this week. 

DO SOMETHING WONDERFUL THIS WEEK

DO SOMETHING YOU'VE BEEN DREADING

DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE ELSE

DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF

DO SOMETHING YOU'VE BEEN AFRAID TO TRY

DO SOMETHING WHICH COSTS TOO MUCH

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE








3 comments:

  1. That casserole looks delicious. It is such a large amount I feel we would be eating it for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are a double recipe. I fed five and everyone had leftovers. I ate stew for three days - too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my dearest Patsy girl!
    That stew looks delish! I haven't made stew in ages. I just copied a recipe for pot roast and gravy over mashed potatoes that looks really yummy too. ;) Comfort food season - trying to keep up the resolution workouts so it all balances out. Lol

    Love seeing any peeks of the kitties and how they're doing. Tell them I said hi :)

    Looks like you got some more wonderful goodies and treasures there! And I should read that book because I read the book Julie an Julia and saw the movie too and loved them both!!

    Make sure you're taking good breaks and good care of yourself too busy Lady. Lots of love to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete