Friday, July 23, 2021

A Short Update

Thoughts and Quotes

We can always choose to perceive things differently.  You can focus on what’s wrong in your life, or you can focus on what’s right.  But whatever you focus on, you’re going to get more of.  Creation is an extension of thought.  Think lack, and you get lack.  Think abundance, and you get more.  A hidden belief that many of us hold is that there is something wrong with being too happy.  We have been taught that it’s arrogant to think we’re deserving of total happiness.  If anything comes into our lives – love, success, happiness – which seems like it would be suited to a “deserving” person, we conclude it can’t possibly be for us.  We have been unable to accept joy because it doesn’t match who we think we are, yet it is not only our right, but in a way, our responsibility to be happy.          Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love

I told Sherman from Concrete Doctors that until my garage is fixed, things won't stop breaking. You remember I had to get a new dishwasher, a new Kindle Paperwhite, fix the garbage disposal switch, and I don't remember everything. Perhaps by dwelling on the garage problem, I was bringing more broken things into my life. 

A lightbulb is stuck in the fixture over the kitchen counter and the electrician will stop by the next time he is near my house. The sink in the guest bath started leaking, and the plumber will be here Tuesday. I think my car might have a slow oil leak. I got a notification the company who does my offsite backup won't support Windows 10 after November, so I have to get an update and someone to install it. And the chair pad in my office is cracking, so I need to go buy a new one before the wheel goes through the plastic. But good news! The garage is finished. You don't even notice where the repair was made.

There's something good in every bad situation. The good is that one of the garage guys is helping with my yard in his spare time. He's a hard worker, gets things done in a hurry, and everything is looking so much better. And the really good part is that he's also a handyman, so after the yard is finished, we'll tackle the house. Stay tuned.

Tips: I know you don't like my links, but you need to watch this short YouTube. It's only seven minutes, and you'll be surprised to discover the three ways to spend your money for the most happiness. Click Here

Tasting: I have not made one new recipe since my last post. I was discussing recipes with Friend Linda, and we agreed that we've both gotten a little carried away with saving things to "make later," and we both have an obscene number of cookbooks. Take a look.

I have a file cabinet full of recipes in folders. They're all sorted by category and type. The bulging one is recipes made with chicken breast.





These cookbooks are in the family room, so they're handy when I watch TV.



These are in the kitchen.


Boxes and tubs full of cookbooks in the garage.




A couple I missed putting away.



I even have some in my bedroom.


In addition, I have at least fifty cookbooks on my Kindle and 14,665 pins on Pinterest. No wonder I don't get anything done! I promise new recipes soon.

My goal is to narrow down to recipes I've tried and tailored to my taste or recipes I've created. I decided on fifty-two of each (one for each week of the year): Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Beef, Pork, Poultry, Seafood, Sides, Vegetables, Breads, Beverages, Cakes, Pies, Cookies, Misc. Desserts, Confections, Condiments and Sauces, Breakfast, Afternoon Tea, and Snooty Pantry. Who needs more than that?

If you're wondering about Snooty Pantry, have you ever gone into a shop where they have gourmet food items, and you just want to buy one of each? I want a pantry like that: Jams, Jellies, Curds, Syrups, Vinegars, Mixes for coffee, tea, and chocolate drinks, Mixes for cheeseballs, etc., Chutneys, Relishes, Salsas. Doesn't that sound fun?

The Pepper and Pals Report: Pepper and Stormy are doing well, bugging me for a treat each time I enter the kitchen. How do they know? They can be in a sound sleep in the guest room, family room, wherever, and the minute I walk into the kitchen and open the dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, or turn on the water, I have two cats at my feet.

I think I told you that I added Grandpa. He's really old, came by and found food and decided to stay. He only leaves the patio to go potty. You knew about Tobin, the yellow guy, and Louie (known as Lucifer before I had him neutered). They all just drifted in and stuck around. They were accepted into the connected group, and they all get along. I still have Fred, Flower, Sweetie Face, and Baby from the connected group. Each one mentioned is a boy, and they've all been neutered. Flower, Fred, and Sweetie Face leave sometimes, but usually never more than a week. Baby misses some meals.

Miss Tippy disappeared some time ago, and now Beau hasn't been around for over a week, nor have I seen BJ for awhile. She might have a litter somewhere. She's the only kitty who hasn't been to the vet to be spayed or neutered.

And if anyone wants Pepper, I'm about ready to give him the boot. He just loves to dig. The potty box is inside the door which is a powder room.


While we're on the subject of pets, I just have to share this photo from Mim (not her dogs).


Things that Grow: Remember the wave petunias I found at Menards for a penny each? I love them. I just learned a tip I'd like to share. I already knew that they need to be deadheaded on a regular basis, but I've just removed the spent blossoms. No! You have to remove the green part and the stem, along with the dead flower. The little green pea under the flower holds the seeds, and if the plant starts setting seeds, the plant will die. Who knew? You also need to thin them. Petunia care YouTube is  HERE. 

Notice Gradpa peeking from behind the black pot in the corner.



Trying My Gadgets: It's not really a gadget. I have a new countertop oven. I have to clean it before I use it (really just a matter of wiping it down), and I have to get rid of the towel rack. It's supposed to be an oven, convection oven, toaster, broiler, warmer, air fryer, slow cooker, and dehydrator. I'll let you know next time. I threw my toaster and my toaster oven in the trash, so I have to get this baby up and running since it's BLT season - can't do that without toast.


I don't have anything exciting. I just wanted you to know I haven't given up blogging, and I'll try to do better. I'll also share more ideas from Madame Chic.

PRACTICE WHAT YOU LEARNED IN THE VIDEO

GROW SOMETHING

GO TO THE LAKE, OR SOMEWHERE BY THE WATER

TRY SOMETHING NEW FROM THE MARKET

CALL YOUR MOTHER

PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE

















 

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a snooty pantry. I did buy some mushrooms in a jar in readiness for my winter store cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are already a master at having things prepared ahead. I've seen some of the wonderful things you pull from the freezer and pantry.

      And we could all take lessons from you in how not to waste food. You are the Queen of Planning.

      Delete