Sunday, October 4, 2020

Update on Kitty

Thoughts and Quotes: The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.    Mahatma Gandhi

If you can also judge a subdivision, I'd say that where I live ranks very high. People have been asking about the kitty I posted last week.

Here's his story. Amy was walking her dogs and saw the little kitten huddled in the street.

She called Jill and told her that she didn't have a blanket and also had two dogs with her, so could Jill get the kitty. Jill did, but she wasn't going to be home and called me to see if I could babysit the kitty because it was Sunday and her vet was closed.

I picked up kitty, but wanted to make sure he wasn't in pain (he had blood on him), so I took him to the emergency clinic in Springfield. I was told he has a damaged eardrum and would probably be okay. She gave me antibiotics and I brought him home. Jill was going to take him to her vet on Monday, to see if they'd find him a home.

I got him to eat some wet food and when his little tummy was full, he went back to sleep. I used a cotton ball and warm water to wash off some of the blood, but didn't want to get him too wet, because the vet said to be sure to keep him warm.

I told Jill, Jill told Amy, Amy found Mariah, Mariah and Amy came and picked up the kitty, and Monday Amy posted that kitty has been named Kylo (Jill said that it has something to do with Star Wars), he's much better, and loves his new home. That's a little sore on his nose and at the corner of his right eye, and I think he's going to have one blue eye and one green eye. I wish he could tell us his story of what happened.

Then Ron asked if he could help with the cost of the vet. I love living here with such great people. And don't you just love a story with a happy ending?

Update: Kylo is eating like a little pig, playing with toys, and walking just fine.

Tasting: This is a Susan Branch breakfast. I used her recipes from her Heart of the Home Cookbook and made potato pancakes and applesauce with sausage.

I'll never buy applesauce again. Big difference! I used Granny Smith apples, and yum! To save time, I made the potato pancakes from Simply Potatoes, which are already prepared hash browns which have not been frozen. Find them near the eggs at Walmart. I didn't have to peel and shred potatoes, and they don't turn brown. You don't have to squeeze out the excess moisture - just mix with an egg, some flour and cream, and ready to go. 

The bag came with eight apples and I used four. As soon as the applesauce is gone, I'll make more. I think you could use any recipe (it's pretty simple), but the brown sugar instead of white as the cookbook specifies with the combination of Granny Smith apples was a real winner.

Things that Grow: Give marigolds a try next year. They're easy to grow from seeds and mine always reseed themselves. They bloom a long time, and bugs stay away from them. The ones I used on the amber snackset table were still nice after several days. Some don't like the smell, but I don't mind it.


The Pepper and Pals Report: This is what I emailed to a friend - He has an ulcer in his right eye. Nothing new. When the injury over his right eye healed, the scar tissue caused his skin to draw up, and I think he doesn't blink or close his eye at 100% efficiency. He hasn't had a problem for some time. I have to put a little bit of salve in his eye every two hours all day long. He's been taking advantage of his condition so I've had him on my lap most of the last two days. He seems to know I feel sorry for him, so "pet me."

This morning he seems more like Pepper, but the salve continues until we go back to the vet next Tuesday.

I was feeding the feral cats the other night, and Flower came running along the top of the back fence with something dangling from his mouth. He brought it to me, and it was a very dead big mouse. While I was petting him and telling him what a good boy and great hunter, Baby ran over and grabbed the mouse and ran off with it. He looked up at me, and the look on his face was, "Did you see what she did?" Baby was up at the end of the yard, tossing the mouse in the air, so Flower decided he might as well go eat cat food. 

Tasting: Terri came by and picked up all the amber glassware, and we ran over to Applebees for fish and chips. That was the first time I'd eaten in a restaurant since March 10, but now I'm ready to do it again. The place was almost empty. They brought us menus printed on a sheet of paper (disposable), no salt and pepper shakers (they brought little packets), no lemon for the fish or water (again little packets), no bottle of catsup (they brought us each a little dish of it for our fries). 

Tasting (again): My Reuben sandwich at Neighbors Mill last week got me in the mood for more, so I got what I needed and made my own. I ate Reubens three days in a row. I got my fill just as the corned beef and cheese ran out. I think I liked mine better. It's all in the layering. Go to my blog post HERE for directions. You can always find it by going to the dropdowns above under Entrees.


Teaching and Learning: Here are steps 9-11 for overcoming procrastination.

9. Use Sprints to Work on Challenging Projects. Work for a short period of time and then give yourself frequent breaks.

10. Build the Discomfort Habit. Discomfort is not a bad thing and a little discomfort is healthy.

11. Build the Awareness Habit. Create a habit where you track your impulses to procrastinate.

That's all I have this week. I've been a cat cushion all day again. Fortunately Stormy went into the guest room and took a long nap, and Pepper and I were on the couch in the family room. It doesn't work out well when they both want lap time at once.

Things that Grow: I need to spend next week planting bulbs and putting the yard to bed for the winter. I'm not sure I'll have a blog post next week. My back yard is really big.



PRAY FOR OUR PRESIDENT AND ALL THE OTHERS HERE AND AROUND THE WORLD WHO ARE SUFFERING WITH THE CHINA VIRUS

TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH

EAT YOUR APPLES

AND GREENS

TAKE A WALK - LOOK FOR FALL COLOR

DRINK YOUR TEA

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE









 



 

2 comments:

  1. Poor little Kitty, thrilled that all is well that ends well. Indeed, what a wonderful community you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dearest Auntie! So nice to catch up on all the kitty updates. That kitten is such a cutie! You're the best kitty Momma, babysitter, wild cat mentor - the whole works! That apple sauce sounds SO good. It'd be yummy with pork chops. I'm glad you're getting out once in a while. Good for mental health and some fun...as long as folks are being smart and safe. Love you loads!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete