Monday, December 9, 2019

Pies and more Pies, 12-9-2019

Thoughts and Quotes: Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair. Nursery Rhyme                                                               

Had he said, "Piewoman", that would have been yours truly. New recipes. But first -

Teaching and Learning: I just discovered that some of you might be unaware of the drop downs under the pictures above. If you click on a heading, "Soup" "Salad", etc. a list will drop down. You select a recipe and you will directed to the blog post where that recipe appeared. The recipe might not be the first item on that blog post, but if you scroll down, you'll find it. If you don't, please email me, and I'll correct it.

This week I made a Chocolate Frozen Instant Pie and a Cherry Chocolate Frozen Instant Pie. And they are almost instant. So easy, so good, and make ahead. Can be frozen two weeks ahead if you wish.

Now try it. Click on "Pies" then "Frozen Instant Pie" and the blog post for 5-19-2019 will come up. Scroll down, and you'll find the recipe. You can just copy and paste the recipe to a Word document.  Then close that tab, click on the back arrow by the web address, and you'll be back where you started. 

Tasting: More pies. Pumpkin Pie 2, Lemon Buttermilk, and Raspberry Cream are new. 

PUMPKIN PIE 2
Based on recipetineats.com

1 9” pie crust
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
Pinch of nutmeg
1-1/3 cups whipping cream
3 eggs

Heat oven to 335°.

Line pie plate with crust.

Put pumpkin, sugar, salt, and spices in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir a few minutes to remove some of the moisture.

Remove from heat and whisk in cream.

Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Do not overmix.

Pour into piecrust and bake 45-55 minutes. When center has a slight jiggle, it’s done.

Note: I found that I need my 10” pie plate for pumpkin pies.



I really like this recipe. It's a little more trouble than the one on the Libby's can, but well worth the effort. My new go-to recipe. Or if you're making pumpkin pie for Christmas, try the Pumpkin Eggnog Pie recipe from the drop downs.



And if you're cutting carbs, you might like Impossible Pumpkin Pie.

IMPOSSIBLE PUMPKIN PIE
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Heat oven to 350°.

Generously butter a 9”pie plate.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the ingredients in the order given. Pour into pie plate.

Bake 35-40 minutes.


Lemon Buttermilk Pie
Based on bunnyswarmoven.net recipe

1 9” pie crust
4 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
Zest from one lemon
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 375°.

Beat eggs and sugar until slightly thick.

Beat in flour.

Beat in balance of ingredients.

Pour into pie crust and bake for 20 minutes.

Reduce heat to 325°; bake until center is set (barely jiggles), about 20-25 minutes more.

Note: Omit the crust and bake in custard cups in a water bath for a light dessert for a Lady Lunch.


This is a good way to use up extra buttermilk, or if lemon's not your favorite, try USS Missouri Buttermilk Pie. It's on the drop downs.


RASPBERRY CREAM PIE
Based on togetherasfamily.com recipe

1 16-oz ready graham cracker or shortbread crust
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tbs water
3 Tbs cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 12 oz. bag frozen raspberries
Whipped cream, Reddi-wip, or Cool Whip and fresh raspberries for garnish

Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together in a mixing bowl.

Whip the cream to stiff peaks in a separate bowl; beat into cream cheese mix.

Spread cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the crust. Refrigerate 6-8 hours.

Meanwhile mix the water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and set aside.

Over medium-high heat, stir the frozen raspberries and sugar together. Stir and cook for several minutes, until it’s boiling.

Add the cornstarch to the raspberries and boil for 2 minutes, stirring as needed.

Turn off heat and let the raspberry mixture cool for 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate 6-8 hours.

Spread the raspberry mixture over the cream cheese mixture. Cover and chill overnight.

Garnish and serve.

Note: This pie takes two days to allow for setting time.

Note 2: My frozen raspberries come in a 24 oz bag, and cream cheese comes in 8 oz, so I buy two pie crusts and make two pies.


I'm still in the pie making mode, but had to turn my attention elsewhere. We'll get back to them later. I'm looking for pies which can be made ahead and chilled or frozen.

Pepper and Pals: This is Tobin. He came here and would not leave when he discovered the Kitty Cat Cafe. He slept on my neighbor Barb's porch and she liked him. She named him Tobin after her dad Toby, who liked to sit on the porch. Here he is, sitting at the slider, waiting for dinner.


I trapped him and took him to the vet for neutering, but Barb paid the tab. Nice to have some help, as my kitty cat bills are mounting. BJ's latest two have survived kittenhood and are now eating with the grown ups. One looks just like Sweetie Face who is now grown.


And the other is a little BJ but with faint tiger stripes like Sweetie Face. They're both very skittish, and I haven't been able to get decent photos.

BJ still avoids the trap. She eats the hamburger trail, right up to the panel she needs to step on to trip the door, and then she walks away.


How did you do with your National Days? I did most of them, but only because they were easy. On Cyber Monday I bought a new case for my phone, Tuesday I made a donation, Wednesday I bought new socks, but with a wintery (or wintry, whichever you prefer) look instead of Christmas -


I skipped Thursday because I don't like Sacher Torte and I don't drink alcohol (though I do cook with it, but drinking it gives me a headache). On Friday, I used my microwave, I missed Saturday and Sunday. I'll try to make brownies this week, and Monday's not over.

Now for the coming week:

Tuesday is Lager, Dewey Decimal System, Nobel Prize Day. Difficult for me, as I don't drink, I don't have time to go to the library, and I don't think I'm in line for a Nobel Prize.

Wednesday is App, or Noodle Ring Day

Thursday is Poinsettia, Ambrosia, Gingerbread House, and Ding-a-Ling Day. Easy-peasy. If we buy a poinsettia, we can check off an item on our Christmas Bucket List as well. Go admire Ann's gingerbread house on last week's post again, and I am a Ding-a-Ling.

Friday is Cocoa or Violin Day. Another easy-peasy. You can make instant cocoa in an instant (ha!) and just turn on Easy Listening music and Andre Reiu is sure to pop up.

Saturday is Monkey or Bouillabaisse Day. Not going to happen on my end.

Sunday is Cupcake, Wear Your Pearls, and Cat Herders Day. Another easy-peasy. Cupcakes - make or just eat one. Watch Julie and Julia or read a book about Barbara Bush, or just put on your pearls while you clean house. And every day is Cat Herders Day around here.

Monday is Maple syrup or Wright Brothers Day. Eat your pancakes or take a plane ride.

That's all I have this week - besides, you're busy.

BETTER GET THAT SHOPPING FINISHED

PUT UP THE TREE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY

GET YOUR CARDS READY TO MAIL

DON'T FORGET A GIFT FOR YOUR PET

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER

SING ALONG WITH THE CAROLS IN YOUR CAR

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE















No comments:

Post a Comment