Monday, December 2, 2019

Good Monday Morning, 12-2-2019

Thoughts and Quotes: We have lost the art of sharing and caring. Hun Sen

When I read that, I said to myself, "He's talking about me." I've been so wrapped up in my travels and posting them, that I've forgotten about everything else. But I saw something on Teacups and Cupcakes, I just knew you'd love. A VERY productive young lady named Ann Ginda who lives in Indiana gave me permission to share her unbelievable gingerbread creation. First the front, then the back. She didn't miss a trick. Every time I look at it, I see something I missed. Don't they have a competition on TV? She should enter. I'll also put it at the end of the post, so I can make it larger without covering the archives on the right.



I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I was alone again, but had a nice quiet day with the kitties and worked on cleaning up my computer. Food was not on my mind, so I had a chili dog for lunch and a turkey Lean Cuisine for dinner. I did, however, open a can of cranberry sauce to go with my LC, so do I get points for that?

A turkey breast was defrosting in the refrigerator, and I could have brined it and hurried it along, but just wasn't in the mood. I finally cooked it on Sunday, made a tray, and hid out in the office so I could eat in peace. Don't worry, Stormy and Pepper got their share of the turkey.


I received some lovely and some funny cards.


Some handmade cards.

Katie Sue


Jean


Jeanne - it stands up!



One from Barbara which will surely make you giggle.


and this cute guy from My Girls Up North


He even has a cute behind.


I made some cards but was reluctant to post them, because (1) they're not my best effort, and (2) I just don't have the time to send to everyone; hence, my help from Jacquie Lawson ecards. I'm going to show you, and from now on, I'll make a group card and post it on my blog, and you'll know you're in my thoughts. I wish I could send one to everyone.

Halloween







Thanksgiving




And I've already received my first Christmas card for this year. Joey is getting her cards out early as she's scheduled for a knee replacement on December 12.


And look at the cute socks she gave me. She knows I never wear shoes around the house, and she also knows how much I love leopard print, so she couldn't resist when she saw these. They came in a 2-pack, so the black ones are a bonus.


The Pepper and Pals Report: I'm still trying to trap BJ before she has more kittens. The two new ones are probably old enough to survive now.

I started fixing the trap, and here came Flower. I lured him into the screened patio and shut him in. Then I went back to the trap. I thought I'd try little balls of ground beef (bits of steak are too easy to snag with a claw). She ate the first two leading into the trap, went in and got a third and took it back out to eat it, then was very wary of the ones under the trap door. She kept walking around, trying to figure a way to reach through the squares. Then here came the kittens.


They both went in, but I thought they were too little to trip the door.


But no, Princess went out and Rebel tripped the door.


He's too little to neuter, so I had to let him go. The quickest way is to roll the cage twice which puts the bottom on top and the door falls open. It also released the hamburger balls which BJ was happy to rush over and gobble up when I backed away so as not to traumatize Rebel.

Flower and Fred come and go; Sweetie Face stays around most of the time, Tobin is ever present, and BJ comes when she hears the slider. 

Happily Pepper and Stormy have become more independent since my trips, which is a VERY good thing. They aren't even waiting at the door when I pull into the garage any longer.

Tasting: I'm ready to head back to the kitchen. I made a lemon cake to freeze in preparation for Joey's recovery. We need to stock up, because she won't be cooking for awhile.


And look, David, I made breakfast. But I had it for dinner. David wisely follows the rule of eat like a king at breakfast, like a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner. I usually do them upside down.


Taking Care of My Health: I finally got around to going for my wellness checkup, and the doctor wants me to start smoking, because he can't make any money off me since I'm so confounded healthy.

Then I went to get my overdue eye exam, and found that my cataracts are ready to be removed. Dang! Well, I made it to 81, probably be 82 by the time I get it done, so guess I shouldn't complain.

Time for Others: I've missed chatting with you, so I'll try to get back on schedule. I can't promise that I'll have exciting things to tell you, but I'll at least check in. I'm getting my tag ends cleaned up to concentrate on finishing my books next year. I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it. I know I am. So I'm either going to do it or not, but if not, then chuck the whole idea. Since I'll be giving progress reports, you'll be seeing a lot of Tablescapes and Theme Dining. Just have to spiffy up the Tea book. Also might work on Soups and Salads, so new recipes.

For now, here's your December Bucket List:

Light a fire in the fireplace
Buy some evergreen or bayberry room spray
Make a centerpiece for your dining table with holly and red candles
Put a wreath on the door
Bake lots of Christmas cookies
Make hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows
Buy new jammies for the whole family to wear the night of Christmas eve
Decorate outside the front of your house
Put up a tree, even if it’s small
Don’t forget presents for the pets
Drink eggnog and/or hot cider
Take a present to a nursing home for someone who’s alone
Watch some Christmas movies on Hallmark channels
Send some Christmas cards
Make chili and cornbread on a cold evening
Treat yourself to a poinsettia
Look at the Christmas lights – take along a thermos of your favorite hot beverage
Go to a Christmas music concert
Splurge on a prime rib roast for Christmas dinner – make Yorkshire pudding
Wear your Christmas costume jewelry, sweaters, scarves, etc.
Play Christmas carols in the house and in the car – sing along
Go to the mall to see the decorations, even if you’re finished with your shopping
Read a Christmas book – the library has lots
Attend a candlelight service at church
Simmer cinnamon sticks and orange peel to make the house smell yummy
Smile at everyone and wish them a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah
Start working on your 2020 goal list

And your National Days for this week:

Today is Cyber Day, so I assume you're on it already.

Tuesday is Giving Day: Share with your favorite charity

Wednesday is Cookie Day, so a good time to make some Christmas cookies to freeze. It's also Sock Day, so a good time to buy new ones - maybe with a Christmas design?

Thursday is Sacher Torte Day, but if you don't bake, just have a glass of wine or pop open a beer as it's also Repeal Day, celebrating the end of Prohibition.

Friday - take your choice:
Pawnbrokers Day
Microwave Oven (my choice - I use it every day)
Gazpacho Day (too cold)
St. Nicholas Day (the beginning of Santa Claus). We're to celebrate by slipping a gift into someone's shoe. 
National Miner's Day (the only ones I know are the seven dwarfs or is it dwarves?)
It's also Faux Fur Friday, if you happen to own one and it's not too hot.
And it's Bartenders Day, so there you go - easy, peasy

Saturday is Pearl Harbor Day
Also Illinois Day and Cotton Candy Day

Sunday is Brownie Day or, more importantly, my brother Jim's birthday.

And I'm giving you Monday, as I might have a late post. National Pastry Day - works for me.

And as promised, a larger Ann's gingerbread creation - give the girl a hand!



START THAT CHRISTMAS SHOPPING

EAT YOUR SALADS

STAY WARM

BE HAPPY

AND KNOW IT

CLAP YOUR HANDS!

LET'S GO GANG, BE WONDERFUL THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE






No comments:

Post a Comment