Friday, November 1, 2019

KY-TN Trip, Day Five, 10-21-2019

Our last day of the trip. I felt right at home at Patti's when we had breakfast. The mural on the wall is the same picture as the mats I have on my kitchen floor. The white spot on the right is the ever present TV. 


We're off to Paducah, KY to visit The National Quilt Museum. We got there early and found this treasure.


Paducah is located where the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers meet. Across the river is Illinois.




Paducah was flooded in the past, so the wall was built on top of the levee. There are openings in the wall for access to the great riverside walk, but (with much effort) can be closed with concrete slabs if a flood is expected. Cranes maneuver the slabs into the slots.


There are openings for pedestrians.


And some large enough for vehicles - BIG vehicles



No, he wasn't going to drive through and down the levee into the river. He needed more room to park while unloading a hugh air conditioning unit for the business on the corner behind him.

I really loved the murals, because each one has a plaque to explain what's in the picture.





























Corresponding numbers on the map let you locate the structure.































So now that you're an expert on Paducah history, let's go visit the quilt museum. There are beautiful quilts.








Whimsical quilts



Dramatic quilts





A bring-a-tear quilt.





The museum has three galleries. The center gallery is for the permanent collection, which rotates several times a year as there are over 600 pieces. The two side galleries show traveling exhibits. At this time one gallery has "contemporary" designs (I call them modern art - no interest) and the other is showing Quilts of Valor.







This quilt amazed me -



because it's only this big.



Some more mini-beauties (sorry, my focus was off).




The furniture grabbed my attention.




And the quilt in the conference room. Impressed?


It's carved from wood. Bet you're impressed now.





Time to head for home. We reached Charleston in time for lunch. Remember lunch at Boomland on Day 1? 



Guess what I had for lunch.


Bill had catfish this time.



One last item of interest. These huge bales are wrapped in yellow; smaller than hay bales which are always wrapped in white. They're cotton. I only knew because we watched them working the fields on our way to KY.


When I arrived home I found these photos Jill made of Miss Stormy Weather Milky Chin Pretty Paws.

 
And this was my welcome home gift from My Little Darling.


I'm leaving for only three days in November, so have decided not to board Pepper this time. Maybe she won't be so bored if she has company.

Whew! That was a busy trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment