Sunday, June 2, 2019

Frozen Pie Error, 6-2-2019

Thoughts and Quotes:  It is the month of June,
                                        the month of leaves and roses,
                                        when pleasant sights salute the eyes
                                        and pleasant scents the noses.
                                                          Nathaniel Parker Willis

The Error: I left out a step in the Frozen Chocolate Pie recipe, which is to fold in the Cool Whip. I've corrected it now, so if you use the drop down menu, you'll get the corrected version. 

This has been a busy, but unexciting week. I'm working on organizing my closet, and since I rarely take anything out, this is a project long overdue. I call Joey and tell her, "Let's go to Branson - I need some black slacks." Well, no I don't. I started my organization with black, and found thirteen pairs of black slacks like I buy at Branson. Granted, some of them have kitty snags, but most are new or like new - two pairs with tags still on them. This is utter nonsense, as I'm sure you'll agree, so the purge is on. I've finished most of the black, blue, navy, green, and yellow things, so I'm on my way. But first -

Theme Dining: A "little" late, but we're celebrating Cinco de Mayo on June 4. I have the table finished.




The gold and orange bowls on the left are for salsa and guacamole. The yellow pepper is for sour cream, and the basket is for chips.



For ripe olives and pico de gallo


Trivet for water pitcher.


MENU

You've seen this food before, but here it is again.

Chicken Enchiladas (recipe is on the drop down menu under Entrees).


Hearty Spanish Rice (recipe under Entrees - Spanish Rice).


Chile Relleno Casserole (recipe under Sides)


Fiesta Salad (recipe under Salads - Bean Salad)


Salsa, Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, Ripe Olives, Chips, Sour Cream

I might add a taco soup unless it's a hot day. If not, I'll remove the soup coups.

Dessert dishes - remember the tea set I bought for $3.60?



I found some dessert plates which will go with it. And then I found a large plate for serving.



The black and white on the tea set brings it together.


Of course we'll have the usual Galopita with grapes and oranges. This has been my Cinco de Mayo dessert for years because it reminds me of flan, but easier to make. About a year ago, I learned that it's actually Greek. Recipe is under Desserts, Other.


Twilight Zone: Remember what happened last year when I decided I wouldn't decorate the graves in 2019? Here's a reminder.

All my grandparents are in the cemetery north of Springfield. The paternal set (Grandma and Grandpa) in one place and the maternal set (Granny and Pow) in a totally different area. It's a really big cemetery. Hang with me - this is rather long. 

When I moved back to Missouri, I discovered that my father didn't buy headstones for his parents. I don't know if they know what's going on down here, but I knew that if they do, my grandmother would want a headstone. So I ordered stones for both of them. How else would I know where to put the flowers?

When my grandparents lived down on Bull Creek, there was a flagstone walk leading from the driveway to the front door. It was bordered on both sides by lots and lots of daffodils. My grandmother loved those daffodils.

When I was preparing the vases, I was trying to decide what my Grandma would like. I settled on yellow flowers, remembering how she loved the daffodils. And I was thinking that I should have purchased the flowers in the spring when daffodils were available.

I finished the paternals and drove over to do the maternals. As I was walking back to my car, I was wondering to myself whether they knew that I had decorated their graves, and if they knew about the headstones, and if so, did they really care? I looked down and saw this. Yes, it's a daffodil. Not real, of course, but a silk one which blew there from someone's grave. A sign? I like to think so.


So, I decided to do only Grandma's grave this year. Brother Bill and I took a basket of pink roses (didn't find those daffodils). I told him, "Unless a daffodil or a pink flower blows into my path, we're not doing any graves next year." 


Then Bill wanted to go see Granny's grave which is in another part of the cemetery. I told him that he just wanted to see if I'd get another sign this year. We looked and looked for the grave, and finally had to go to the office for a map. I always look near the wrong tree.

I was walking in front of Bill, looking all around, and he said, "Look what you missed," and he was holding up something pink. It was two layers from a silk pink carnation. They must have blown right behind me. 

I said, "That does not count. That is not a pink flower." And he said they should count because they're pink. And I said that it had to be a pink FLOWER or a daffodil, not a part of a flower. And right then two bouquets of beautiful silk pink flowers (the kind that are all hooked together) blew over and landed right at my feet. I think my jaw dropped. I looked like a crazy fool, standing there in the middle of the cemetery with my arms spread, and looking up at the sky shouting, "Okay! I got the message!"

So Grandma gets decorated in 2020. I think she likes the pink. And if someone told me this story, I might not believe them; but I swear it really happened. 

Tasting: We were near Cracker Barrel, so we decided to have lunch. And we'd each like a gold star for restraint.

And I brought part of my pork chop home to the kitties, and we both ate only one corn muffin, and Bill took two home.






Thrifting: I stopped on the way home and bought only one little plate with purple flowers for $2. Red Racks is getting high priced. Goodwill is better.


The Wild Things: Now look what was in my back yard one morning. She walked right by the cat without even a glance. Kitty is a sometimes visitor.




I have friends who live in Minnesota, and their friends had this visitor - I prefer Miss Turkey.



Thank You: To Nancy for a belated (my fault) Mother's Day dinner at the restaurant of my choice. I chose Bellacino's for their wonderful Cuban sandwich and great French fries.



Busy week ahead - everyone is picking on me. I just noticed a leak spot on my family room ceiling; my auto insurance went up $130 a year for no reason; and I just realized that my auto registration card says Expiration 5/19/2019. When I renewed it in April, I got new plates, but somehow I didn't get a new registration card, and none in the mail. Life's little bumps in the road.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK

MOST POOLS ARE OPEN

START THINKING ABOUT WHAT TO DO/BUY FOR FATHER'S DAY

USE SUNSCREEN

AND STAY HYDRATED

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE


















5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post especially your cemetery story. I always find dimes when I missing my dad and I like to think of them as him saying hello. If I had to pick, I think I would also much rather see a wild turkey in my backyard than a bear. Makes my nuisance raccoon not seem so bad. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt sends me feathers; my cousin sends me butterflies; and somehow we always know who sent the sign, don't we?

      I also have a raccoon, a possum, a snake, a skunk, and at least once a year, I have to rescue a turtle who has blundered into my backyard and can't find his way out as he migrates.

      Busy week, rain forecasted for everyday. Thankfully, we've avoided the tornados and flooding.

      Nice to see you.

      Delete
  2. A sign indeed in the cemetery and yes I do believe you. I am slowing having a good sort out of my clothing, a long overdue job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we're so far apart. We could have a clothes swap. I'm in the mood to clean out scarves, jewelry, coats, etc. as well as clothes.

      Delete
  3. Hello my most beautiful Auntie!

    Well first of all - I completely relate with the closet purge. Mine is ridiculous right now! It is definitely on my spring cleaning list (even though it's almost summer)

    And I also relate to the MN neighbors with the bears. I"ve been very good about keeping my garbage shut in the garage this year. So my sitings have been much fewer thankfully 😊

    I love the cinco de mayo meal and dishes! Ole!! Lol
    But the cemetery story gave me goosebumps!! I guess you have been told. Lol 😂 I have received signs like that in my life too and I absolutely believe in them. ❤️

    And tell the universe to quit picking on you with all of those added bills. Ugh!! Blessings on the rest of your week xoxo

    ReplyDelete