Sunday, March 3, 2019

3-3-2019 Thrifting; Oh, no! Not Again!!!

Thoughts and Quotes: "I learn lots of new things when I make mistakes."
                                                Mim's four-year-old grandson

Teaching and Learning: I just realized that the website I gave for tea is secure so you can shop, but my computer shows the links are unsecured - no good. The emails I receive are secure, but I'm not allowed to cut and paste directly into my blog. In case you realized this, and went no further, I'm going to share the most interesting thing I found - the amount of caffeine in each kind of tea.

White tea is almost as low in caffeine as decaffeinated tea. For a 6 oz cup, coffee is about 112 mg; green tea is only 25; white tea is around 15, and decaf tea is only 5. Compare these to black tea which is around 50. Of course, herb teas have no caffeine, but they're not really teas - they're tisanes. The website has a blog, but how much do you really need to know about tea? Mainly I want to know where I can go for afternoon tea, recipes for tea goodies, or which thrift store is having a sale because they might have some tea dishes. 

Thrifting: Oh my goodness! What happened to my goal of no more things? When you see what I bought, you'll understand why I couldn't resist.


$6



$3


50 cents each


50 cents each


$1 for a sweet little flower arrangement


$1 per set - I love, love, love these


$1 for the set


Red tag, so half price. $1.75 and like new.


Also half off, so $1.75; different on the othe side.


$3.50 I already used this when I spent three hours at the agency while they handled my air bag recall. I took my umbrella, bullet journal, some magazines, and both Kindle readers.


But - I put together four place settings like this for Joey's granddaughter, so I should get a gold star for discards.


The Weird Weather: On Sunday, I got up to this -


And by 5:00 p.m., we had this.


Tasting: I saw a recipe for Tater-Tot Nachos which caught my eye. I've always been fascinated by Tater-Tots. I always think they should be really good, but they never are, so I keep trying. You cook a 32 oz package of Tater Tots as directed on the package. Then you cook 1 lb. of hamburger with a package of taco seasoning. You spread the hamburger over the tots, then shredded cheese. Put it in the oven to melt the cheese, then add toppings. I did the cooking, and now I make a serving at a time.


Add hamburger


Melt cheese on top


Add tomatoes, onion, sliced ripe olives, and cilantro. 


And a dollop of sour cream.


The Pepper and Pals Report: Two of the feral kitties are missing. I haven't seen Ginger for days, and Midnight has been gone for more than a week. Someone said they'd seen coyotes back in the south field, and I fear the girls might have ventured out too far on a hunting expedition.

In the meantime, Pepper continues to snuggle with his cuddly throw.


And Stormy helps with my thrift finds.


Yes, more thrifting. I went to a library class in Ozark and Goodwill is just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Teaching and Learning: The class at the library was making paper flowers. I was hoping for crepe paper flowers to use for Cinco de Mayo, but we made them from newsprint. The teacher made tons of these which she combined with red silk roses for her wedding reception.



Thrifting: Again! Well, I was right there, and the things were so cute, and so cheap!

$3 for 22 seafood forks


Small poinsettia bowls - 50 cents each


Small party plates - 50 cents each


Do they go with these and the Eiffel Tower? The plates say Cafe Paris


A trivet to go with my peppers collection - $1


Only two, but I think they'll make great votive holders - 50 cents each


A medium serving bowl - 75% off, so 50 cents


Serving plate - $1


6 dessert plates for 50 cents each


And four placemats for $1 each to go with the dishes for Joey's granddaughter - four more napkins and four more napkin rings in the discard column.


Tasting: I thought this sounded too good to be true, so I tried it. I used pineapple in heavy syrup and it ended up looking like a saggy mattress. I tried it again with pineapple in juice and it's better.

INSTANT CAKE

1 box angel food cake mix

1 20-oz can crushed pineapple in juice

Heat oven to 350°.

Lightly spray a 13” X 9” baking pan.

Put cake mix in a large mixing bowl.

Pour in undrained pineapple and stir with a spoon.

Pour into baking dish.

Bake 30 minutes.


That's all I have for you this week. Long week, but I did manage to get over to Joplin for my airbag recall. You might want to check yours online. I got the call from my agency almost three weeks before I got the official notice in the mail. And it really is dangerous to have a passenger if your car is in the recall pool.

STAY WARM

THINK SPRING

AND BLUE SKIES

AND SUNSHINE

EAT CAJUN FOOD ON TUESDAY FOR MARDI GRAS

TRY A LITTLE THRIFTING

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE








2 comments:

  1. Wow, Patsy I had to scroll up and down a few times to take in all that you had found at the thrift stores. My goodness you certainly have an eye for a bargain. I am not sure I could walk past such bargains either, what a great haul. Hope you manage to find the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dearest!
    I don't know how you just find the best things for such steals! You make me want to go thrifting more - definite inspiration. ;)
    I don't like tater tots that much either, but I do like an egg bake I make with them. I put cooked ham in the bottom of the pan, whip up egg mixture and add chopped veggies and cheese to it and pour over the meat. Then top with frozen tater tots and a bit more shredded cheese and bake. Kind of like a potato crust on top of the eggs - yummy. I think those nachos look darn good too!!
    And I have to have Annie make that easy pineapple cake! Adding that to the grocery list and maybe have with some pineapple coconut haagen daas ice cream ;P
    Happy to see sweet kitties still doing well. too. And looks like your weather is getting as weird as ours. Lol Work guys shoveled off our roof yesterday and the lower level of our house I feel like we're buried alive because the snow piles are now so hight they cover up most of the windows. Yikes!
    Send thaw soon please - SOS!!
    Blessings to you Auntie xoxo

    ReplyDelete