Sunday, January 16, 2022

Food and More Food

Thoughts and Quotes: People who love to eat are always the best people.
                                                                                   Julia Child

Gee, I must be right up there at the top, because I love to eat. I made a goal to eat at a new resturant every week this year, and I missed last week. So - I went out twice this week.

I was all excited to try this new place. I was hoping that it would be really good, because it's right by my local Walmart. They also have a location at Branson West. Now I understand why they named it "The Lake," since Branson is surrounded by lakes. Alas, they are not open yet - two more weeks.


I decided to go for a hurry-up lunch at Big Al's. This seemed to be one of those jinxed places which couldn't make it no matter what they sold, but since it became Big Al's Subs, it seems to be busy. 

Here's it is, way back in the late 1950's.


And now it looks like this. You really don't know where to look first.






You can also do drive-thru or sit outside in when it's warm.



There's even a mud scraper for your shoes by the bench.


And something rare, but really thoughtful. The sign says, "Need a coat? Take one. Want to help? Leave one."


I ordered a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich, and this is what I got.


I asked myself, "Ten dollars for this?!" Yep. And it was worth it. So good! Sam's Club makes their bread a special way. The basket of napkins in the booth is for a reason. It was a little greasy and a little drippy, but that's what makes it yummy.

The following day, Steg and I went to Yen Ching's. I'd heard good things about a Chinese place over by Hwy CC and Hwy 65. It's stuck at the end of a little strip mall.


Again, a place where you can't decide where to look first.








I'd had such good reports, I decided to order my test dish - lemon chicken.

It came with Hot and Sour Soup (which I almost forgot to photo). It was good, but not the best I ever had.


Then the Lemon Chicken with Fried Rice and a little Spring Roll - the deep fried kind, not the thin white skin kind. I ate part of it before I remembered the photo. And kudos to Yen Ching - great Lemon Chicken.


I'd already been cooking all week, because Terri and I had been talking about food from the "good ol' days."

I made Missouri Goulash.


And then I made pot roast and potatoes.


And yesterday I made Chicken-Noodle Soup.


Soup was a good choice, because we had a perfect snow day; a Winter Wonderland, but with clear sidewalks, drives, and streets.


Stormy loved watching it come down.


Sometimes the flakes were large enough to show up in my photos.


But mostly it was tiny flakes, and the streets were only wet by the end of the day.


Now about those coats - the rust one fit perfectly


The black and white jackets need the sleeves hemmed.

I could probably impersonate a doctor with this one.



The red and navy ones fit Terri perfectly.



And the quilted brown coat was too large for either of us. I took it to Big Al's coat rack. The two childrens' coats from the day before were gone, and I left the brown coat. 

So I've ordered the red and navy coats for myself in a different size, along with some purses. So far, I'm happy with the quality from this company, but size is definitely an issue. And most of their clothes are for younger people.

The kitties are all surviving the winter, even though some don't sleep in the heated houses. Pepper and Stormy continue to supervise my work to be sure they're not overpaying. 

I'm usually on the computer in the evening, and Pepper takes the chair.


And Stormy sleeps in front of my desk.


That's all I have this week. Hope you're doing well.

HUG YOUR LOVED ONES

THE FURRY ONES, TOO

BRAVE THE SNOW AND GO FOR A WALK

AND SOME SUN IF IT FINDS YOU

DON'T FORGET TO EAT APPLES

AND LOTS OF LEAFY GREENS

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE


























No comments:

Post a Comment