Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Hanging In

Thoughts and Quotes“Dear weather, stop showing off… We know you’re HOT!!!”  Anonymous

That just about sums it up. I'm working in the yard off and on, but the humidity wears me out. I come in dripping with perspiration and smelling like a nanny goat.

Thank You: Niece Terri gave me a special day. We had late lunch at Billy Gale's, a restaurant I'd not yet visited; then we checked out the Ozark Farmers' Market at Finley Farms. A little early still, so not many vendors. I did get some lovely leaf lettuce and green onions, but they were a little pricey.

Then she surprised me with a really fun blue and white checkered bag from Bath and Body Works. I've never been there, but recently Niece Gina had told me about wallflowers, and I had mentioned it to Terri.

Now I'm abundantly blessed. Something I'd never heard of before - foaming hand soap. Where to start? They all smell wonderful: Turquoise Waters, Sweet Orange Blossom, Oceanfront Garden, and Cool Cucumber Mint.


Two wallflowers - now I see what everyone's been telling me. They're plugged into the wall and they're little flowers, and they hold the scented oil which is warmed by electricity.

In the kitchen - Raspberry Tangerine


In the bedroom - Spring Morning Rain (I think; lost the label)


And refills: Cucumber and Lily, Wild Lavender Mint, Eucalyptus Rain


Thrifting: I don't make special trips to go thrifting now, but I can't help stopping in if I'm passing by.

$2 items

The size of a salad plate.

 
I finally found a solid-color vinyl tablecloth for crafting at Walmart, then found this used one for half the price. Oh, well. Maybe I'll be working on both tables at the same time.


Another of those paint-your-own ceramic baskets I love, but this one is larger, and the others have handles. Perfect for bread or rolls.


$1 Items

Yes, I have a use for this. You'll have to wait and see.



One of those tall cups I need for my one-cup-at-a-time coffee maker.


Things that Grow: Remember the pink roses for the Lady Lunch table? I bought them on May 24 and they were still pretty on June 9, though they spent a lot of time in the refrigerator.


I left them out on the counter, and they started looking like rose bells, then they looked as if they had fallen asleep. They looked like this on June 14, when we finally parted ways. Simply amazing for supermarket flowers.


I enjoyed them so much, I picked up flowers at Walmart - $5 for days of pleasure.


Thread: I finished the doily, but haven't blocked it yet. Now I'm covering coat hangers. When I see rug yarn at a thrift store, I just can't resist. I love these hangers. When I lived in California, my mother came to visit. While I was at work, she watched TV and made coat hangers for me. It takes awhile to make one, but the ones she made for me in 1971 are still in use in my closet. They're so nice, because your clothes don't slip off and your slacks don't get a crease where they're folded across the hanger.



Thongs: That's what we used to call them; now they're called flip-flops. If you're going on vacation, grab a pair and you can dress them up with silk flowers. I prefer solid white or green, but I used these because they were handy.

Buy some self-stick velcro dots. Put the stickery side on the shoe.


Cut the protruding back off the flowers and add the fuzzy side of the dots on the flower backs.


You can interchange them with any color you wish. 





They're much cuter with solid color flip-flops.

Tea: Afternoon tea really is a treat to enjoy each day. It doesn't have to be elaborate, and it doesn't have to be conventional.

I had this one day when I'd had a late breakfast and skipped lunch.


And yesterday when I came in from working outside in the humidity, I had iced tea in my wonderful Yeti (gift from nephew Will) and watermelon. Nicolas Fairford might not approve, however.


At least I'm still cutting the crust off my toast.


And today was better with green tea and mango bread.


And Nicolas is now blogging more. You can find him HERE. He has a YouTube vlog under his name, and you'll love his soft voice and pretty music. Coming up this weekend is part 2 of his trip to London. Part 1 is HERE.

Theme Dining: I've given up on the Lady Lunch I started. With so much yard work and housework which beg attention, I just don't need the distraction. Stay tuned. I'll get back to it.


REMEMBER SUNSCREEN

BE SURE OUTDOOR PETS HAVE COOL WATER TO DRINK

WATERMELON IS IN SEASON

STAY HYDRATED

STAY IN THE SHADE WHEN POSSIBLE

DON'T FORGET FATHER'S DAY

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE
















4 comments:

  1. Tammy and I made mango ice cream for our family last month and also mango dairy free sorbet in Florida for a neice who can't have dairy products.
    I have to say both were really good too.
    We used 48 ounces of frozen mango chopped with an emersion blender, them 2 cans of sweetened condensed coconut milk, vanilla almond milk and ginger ale to fill the freezer to the full line.
    For the ice cream we used same mango, 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and half and half to fill the canister to the full line.
    We also made a batch of dreamcicle ice cream too. Can of frozen orange juice, zest from 1 orange, 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, half and half, then orange pop to fill the canister to the full line.
    The White Mountain electric did the rest.... just have to use plenty of rock salt. Bought bags of chipped ice from Sonic... don't have to smash it up then....works great from the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mango is my favorite fruit, and this sounds amazing, but I don't have an ice cream freezer.Probably best that I don't, as I can't stay away from ice cream. If I have some in the freezer, it calls my name until it's all gone.

      I'm sure someone will see your comment and make use of these great recipes. Wish I could.

      Delete
  2. Love the glass cake stand so pretty, a great find. I was also impressed by the simplicity of adding flowers to flip flops, they all looked wonderful such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I didn't have some solid color flip-flops, because they work so much better. Glad you liked them.

      Delete