Monday, October 15, 2018

10-15-2018 Cooking Club Cop Out

I must be getting old. I did a really poor job of hosting the Very Exclusive Cooking Club lunch this week. I didn't do the table - even forgot to put the napkins on before the photos. I didn't shop for party favors. For take-homes I gave them soup, a bag of chips, and a block of cheese. I gave them bread from Walmart with their salads. No new recipes.

VERY EXCLUSIVE COOKING CLUB
October 11, 2018 at Patsy’s

TABLE



MENU

Library Soup
with tortilla chips and shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Chef’s Salad

Whole-wheat French Bread

Pumpkin Mousse

Oatmeal Cookies

Hot or Iced Tea

FOOD




RECIPES

 LIBRARY SOUP
(Dana from the Children’s Section at the library)

1 can each:
Whole kernel corn, drained
Kidney beans, drained
Seasoned black beans, drained
Rotel with lime and cilantro
Chicken broth (see note 1)
2 chicken breasts, cubed (see note 2)

Mix together in Crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high/regular for 4-5 hours.

Serve with tortilla chips and grated Monterey Jack cheese.

Note 1:  I used 2 cans of broth for more liquid, and used pinto beans instead of kidney beans.  I love this soup and will make it often.

Note 2: Or add part of a bag of frozen cooked chicken for fajitas. Put in frozen. Thaw some of the larger pieces slightly to cut them smaller.


 PUMPKIN MOUSSE

1-1/2 cups milk
1 small box butterscotch instant pudding
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup Cool Whip, divided
Nutmeg to garnish, optional

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix together until totally blended.

In a small bowl, add the spices to the pumpkin and then add it to the pudding.

Fold in half the Cool Whip.

Use the balance of the Cool Whip to garnish the top of the pudding.
Note: You can substitute Reddi-wip if you wish. Sprinkle with a light dusting of nutmeg (optional)


QUAKER’S BEST OATMEAL COOKIES

1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cups uncooked oats, quick or old fashioned
1 cup nuts of choice (optional)

Heat oven to 375°.

Beat butter and sugars until creamy.  Beat in egg and vanilla.

Add combined flour, soda, salt, and spices.  Mix well.

Stir in nuts and then oats.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake 8-9 minutes for a chewy cookie or 10-11 minutes for a crispy cookie.


And now the dishes are packed up and ready to go to Chosen Niece Terri. I'm ready to start letting go of the many, many dishes which are cluttering my life. I might shed a few tears, but I'll get over it.

Tasting: I don't have much to show you. I've had some wonderful food at restaurants; I ate fish and chips with Steg, and my Lil Bro and Lil Sis took me to F-D Grill for tilapia, but you've already seen photos of all that. I'm so boring. I find something I like and always order the same thing.

Cracker Barrel has fried chicken now, so Martha took me to dinner. It's wonderful.


And I had some great chicken at Golden Corral with Nancy. I must have been in a green mood.


And we had a wonderful sunset driving home.



I must be into skies right now, because I took this one on the way to the library book sale.


Thank Yous: To My Girls Up North for an autumn CARE package of goodies. They know what I love.


And to Candy for introducing me to a new author. She sent the first four books of one series.



And when I went to the Christian County library book sale, I found that people here also like this author, and she has several different series. I bought everything I found, and can add this week when the Greene County library sale starts. Candy told me about Robert Parker and I'm still working my way through the Spenser series. Love every word.


I found a few cookbooks, of course. You knew I would. Maybe I should spend more time using them instead of just reading them. I spent our rainy Sunday going through and choosing all the wonderful things I want to make.

And I shop in style when I attend book sales, thanks to my Chosen Niece Terri.


Time for Others: I've sent six birthday cards and a get well card so far this month; three I bought and three were ecards. The only one I made was a cut and paste.


While Joey, on the other hand, has been very busy.





And Linda made a wonderful birthday dinner table even though she wasn't completely well from THE BUG. Don't you love those Halloween plates? And no, she's not stingy with her cheese. They'd already been eating it when she took the photo.




Tidbits: Mim's sister sent this link about all the benefits of drinking warm water with lemon. I'm thinking we might be able to benefit from warm tea with lemon also. Either way, it can't hurt us. Click HERE.

The Pepper and Pals report: Nothing new. Still haven't been able to trap BJ. So far I've trapped Ginger and Flower, but they've already had their turn. Haven't even seen Midnight or BJ for a couple of days. Guess they're staying in out of the rain. I fixed beds in the screened patio since the nights are cooler, but so far only Flower is sleeping there. He wants to be somebody's kitty. He rubs on my legs when I go out, though he's still skittish. He's the only outside kitty I can touch.

To Everything there is a Season: A time to ebb and a time to flow. I don't know whether I'm ebbing or flowing. I'm doing the one where you can't get your lazy tush in gear. I'll try to do better. Busy week ahead - dinner with Steg on Monday, dinner with Nancy and Martha on Tuesday, book sale on Wednesday, weather permitting - Bill will be here to work on Thursday, lunch with Joey on Friday. Looks like I might need some even bigger clothes. 

This Week's National Days:

Monday - National Grouch Day. How appropriate. I'm feeling grouchy with myself.

Tuesday - Global Cat Day. Guess new treats are in order. Maybe albacore tuna for dinner.

Wednesday - National Pasta Day. Maybe I should put those new cookbooks to work.

Thursday - Chocolate Cupcake Day. I can do that.

Friday - Seafood Bisque Day. Hmmmmm....does New England Clam Chowder count?

Saturday - Brandied Fruit Day. Why? Who eats brandied fruit? 

Sunday - Pumpkin Cheesecake Day. Get out those cookbooks. I'm not happy with my                          recipe; too sweet.

DRINK YOUR LEMON WATER

GET OUT TO SEE THE COLORED LEAVES

TAKE A WALK IN THE RAIN

BUY YOURSELF SOME FLOWERS

EAT YOUR APPLES

CHECK YOUR LIBRARY FOR A BOOK SALE

WATCH THIS VIDEO AGAIN




2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you are feeling out of sorts and not your usual busy self Patsy. Looks like you have a busy week planned, so hopefully that might lift your spirits. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, and your encouragement did the trick. I'm almost finished with table for Sailing, sailing. . . for the library talk on theme dining. AND I went to the market yesterday and got what I need for the clam chowder. I'm off and running again. You'll see it in my next post.

      Delete