Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Week 90, 9-10-2017

Thoughts and Quotes"A veteran is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for any amount, up to and including their life."
                                                                       Author Unknown

As the anniversary of 9/11 approaches, it occurred to me that this quote could also apply to our great first responders - Policemen, Firemen, EMT's, etc..

Talent I admire: I'm not a fan of crumb muffins, but I loved this photo so much, I just had to share it. Click HERE.

Tips: If you're following our healthy eating plan and have a busy day, just chop some apples into your salad to take care of two requirements at once.



Time for Others: Katie is a cardmaking machine. She's the one who makes hundreds of cards for nursing homes and shut-ins. Some of her latest creations.










Tidbits: I spotted this in a parking lot and had to stop and watch. All the toys on the dash are solar activated, so they were swinging and dancing and the hula girls (behind on the left) were swaying. What a happy sight. Sorry, I haven't learned how to upload videos yet, so only the photo. You'll have to use your imagination.


Thrifting: I went for baby blankets for the kitties and ended up with all this.

A new member for our cooking club is a possibility. Her name is Barbara. I showed you the dishes I found for Bev and Mim, but I needed something for Barbara. I don't know her taste yet, so I found something neutral. They're really great quality and 97 cents each.


No, I didn't need this, but it's nice and big, very practical, and only $2.50.


This cute little guy for the Halloween or Thanksgiving table - 25 cents.



And this handsome fellow for 50 cents. I love reading authors from the United Kingdom and Ireland. That's where I learned that we can call scarecrows tatty-boggles and turkeys bubbly-jocks. 


And perfect timing for this blingy teapot as I'm going to redo the holly table - $3.50.


The Christmas teapot gods have been smiling on me. Remember this one from Bev recently.


And then Jeanne brought me these today, a gorgeous Santa and a happy snowman. Thank you, Jeanne. I'll give them a good home.



The thrifting gods were also smiling, and I found two dessert plates to go with the teacups for the library. Surely I can find two more, but in case I can't find the other four, I found four plates and I'll just keep them.


I found six of these napkins for $1.


And six sweet little tea napkins for $1.


And Dollar Tree was right next door, so I popped in and found things for cardmaking.




The Pepper and Pals Report: I set up my table so I could work and watch the trap in the backyard at the same time, and Stormy just had to see what I was doing. She's so helpful. She even tries to help me scrape her pottybox, and she can climb like a monkey. I'm sure kitties are psychic, because when the trap is set, the kitties don't even come to eat.


The Truth, the Whole Truth: I hit the wall this week. Not one table. I got thrifting fever and hit six thrift stores and a church rummage sale. Lots of good bargains.

I found four each of these teacups, saucers, and dessert plates for the library - $6.84 total.



At the church rummage sale, I found a woodsy basket - 25 cents.


a cute teapot for $1


wooden napkin rings for $1 for my nephew


and a faux-fur throw for $2 for the kitties.


At another store I found two votive holders for the Sailing, sailing theme dinner redo for 50 cents each.


Wish I'd found these two at 25 cents each earlier for the Big Cats table.


And this sweet guy to add to the Cabbage Patch table for $1.


The best bargains were right here in Nixa. The store was celebrating an anniversary, and I got 20% off everything. All these rubber stamps for $4.35.


A perfect little lapel pen for fall - 80 cents



A lei - 20 cents


Invitations to use for making a birthday card for Bill, who loves the minions - 40 cents.


A couple of baskets for 40 cents each.



Individual S & P's for 20 cents



one of my best bargains - six at 20 cents each - I can see them already, filled with sparkling white grape juice



and a great deal, four snack sets for $2 total, 40 cents each.



Things That Grow: My zinnias continue to bloom; also marigolds and asters, but they'll soon be replaced by mums. I've seen a few trees starting to turn, also.


Taking Care of Our Health: Continue every day: apples, salad, foods high in magnesium (list on week 87), a yellow or orange fruit or vegetable. Now let's add a green fruit or vegetable every day. I only missed one day and that was Labor Day so I pretended it didn't count because it was a holiday. So ha! I don't know about you, but I'm finding that this is getting easier.

Sorry for the short post this week. I'll try to do better next week.

PRAY FOR THOSE WHO LOST LOVED ONES ON 9/11

PRAY FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY HARVEY AND IRMA

WATCH FOR AUTUMN COLOR

BUY SOME MUMS

ADD THAT GREEN FOOD TO YOUR MENU EACH DAY

CALL YOUR MOM, AUNT, SISTER, GRANDMOTHER, NIECE, COUSIN

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE












2 comments:

  1. My goodness Patsy what a great shopper you are. All those great finds is amazing. Loved all the baskets, they are so versatile and can be used for anything. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll use the baskets on my tables throughout the year, then I'll fill them with silk flowers to decorate the graves next Memorial Day at the end of May.

      I believe I have enough for this year, so now I'll be looking for silk flowers. I know I sound like a skinflint, but they'll look better than some of those things from the stores at exhorbitant prices.

      Delete