Sunday, June 25, 2017

Week 79, 6-25-2017

Thoughts and QuotesSummer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. ~Henry James

Summer has arrived in all her glory. I love the bright blooms, the fireflies, the long days; I don't like that ice cream truck that goes by every day, very slowly, so that we can be sure to have Turkey in the Straw playing in our heads all day.

Thank you: To my Chosen Niece Terri, who gave me these three bright baskets. Perfect. Exactly the colors I already had in straw, but probably forty years old - faded and ratty. Aren't they beautiful? And plastic, so I can wash them. What a difference.


The Stormy Report: Remember this little darling?


I've been opening the screendoor to the screened-in patio, so she can eat inside because Midnight (Pepper's sister) is mean to her. I put Pepper's carrier in the patio with the door down, hoping she'd get used to it so I could trap her to get her spayed. Dr. won't spay or neuter until the kitty is six months old, and I thought she was close. 

She didn't show up for dinner on Tuesday, breakfast on Wednesday, and dinner on Wednesday. Thursday morning she came to the door, I let her in, she ate a few bites, and went into the carrier and stretched out. She didn't run when I approached the carrier, so I knew something was wrong, so I zipped up the door, and took her to the vet.

When they x-rayed, they found she had a large kitten inside and was trying to go into labor. When Dr. operated, the kitten was dead, and now Stormy has been spayed. I left her at the hospital until Monday to make sure she's okay. I'm to call the Humane Society on Monday morning to see if they have an opening so they can take her in for adoption. She's such a cute little girl and wants a home. She runs in my house if I don't get the slider closed quickly enough. Then Pepper chases her around HIS house. He's okay with her in the indoor patio, but not the house. 

If you know anyone who would like this sweet little girl, let me know. And then we'll start trying to figure out what to do with what turned up in Martha's backyard yesterday.


Things That Grow: I'm enjoying my glads this year. When they start to topple, I don't stake them - I bring them in the house.


Thrifting: I stopped in a thrift store yesterday, and came home with the things I said I'd never buy more of - dishes and books and cookbooks.

These are Johnson Brothers, Summer Chintz. Six each dinner and salad plates - $10. They're beautiful. The photos don't show the little yellow flowers very well.



I also bought a Marjolein Bastin mug for 75 cents. She's on of my favorites, and Chosen Niece Terri and Friend David are always sending me cards using her artwork. You can see her HERE, and here's my mug. It says, "Enjoy the simple pleasures that each day brings".




And I saved myself a ton of money, because now I don't have to take a trip to The Greenbrier. I paid $1 for this BIG book instead, so I can see it from the comfort of my couch.


And I also found a book to add to my series. I've read only Book 1 - An Irish Country Doctor, but I'll get back to them one day.


And these were free.



Then I went across the street to another thrift store and bought a CD to play on the way home. I discovered Gabriel Faure by accident, and don't know anything about him except that I love his music. He's a French composer, but I couldn't find a book about him when I searched while I lived in California. This CD was made by an orchestra in Paradise, California, population 26,000. Pretty amazing they have an orchestra this size. I love the CD. It was taken from recordings of actual performances and every once in awhile, someone coughs. This just adds to the feeling of a live performance. A $1 bargain.




I bought this for the pot to make the flowers for my cousin's grave next Memorial Day. She loved country music and I hate it. We always teased each other about it. Though she lived in California most of her life, she wanted her ashes brought back to Missoouri for burial.

When she had cancer and I was going back and forth to California, we had lots of time to talk. One day I mentioned something about what I'd do "when I take you back to Missouri with me"  She said, "I can't travel in this condition". Then I explained that I meant later. She realized I meant her ashes, but still in good spirits, she said, "Oh good, I can sing country music to you all the way". So I told her, "You do, and I'll put you in the trunk". We had a good laugh, and you can't imagine how much I miss her.

This is actually a music box which plays corny fiddle music and the flowers twirl around. Some flowers are missing and it's really dirty, but I thought it perfect for next year.



These are thick hardback books and only $1 each





A gardening book - also $1.


An exciting art book - $1.


I've had pageviews of my blog from sixty countries; some I couldn't even begin to tell you the location. When I found this atlas, I grabbed it - $1.


And I found a little onyx sea turtle for brother Bill to remind him of his trip to Mexico when he got to release baby turtles.


And a book by one of his favorite authors,


And a bowl for Joey because I always buy her whatever I find in this pattern.


And a book for Katie because she loves children's books, a carryover from her teaching days.



And a cookbook for Hannah who is learning to cook.


Theme Dining: The first July theme dinner is finished; actually, I can use all the photos from the real dinner. The title is Say Howdy.

The Invitations


The Table




The Menu


The Food



The Recipes

For the salad, just add cooked wagonwheel pasta to your favorite tossed salad; Ranch dressing from the market. 

TRI-TIP
Harter House

2-1/2 lb tri-tip, with fat on one side
Santa Maria seasoning (available at Harter House) Rub all over tri-tip, all sides, or have Harter House season for free.

Oven Roasted
Heat oven to 350°.

Place tri-tip on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up, no water, and no cover, do not turn

Roast 1 hour and 15 minutes

Barbecue
Bring charcoal to high heat

Sear tri-tip 15 minutes with fat side down

Push coals to one side, cook tri-tip with fat side up away from the coals, for 1 hour

Can also be cooked on gas barbecue

Adjust cooking time according to weight

Tent tri-tip with aluminum foil and rest ten minutes before cutting

Starting at point end, cut across the grain into thin strips



CORN AND CORN MUFFINS
BHG Jiffy Cooking

1 14 oz pkg corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
1 scant cup cream-style corn
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)

Heat oven to 425°.

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and stir to blend.

Pour into a greased 12-muffin cup tin.  They’ll be about 2/3 full.


Bake 12-15 minutes.



SAWDUST PIE
Family Circle

1 unbaked pie shell
7 egg whites
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
Whipped cream, banana slices for garnish

Heat oven to 325°.

In large bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.

Pour into pie shell and bake 40 minutes or until glossy and set.

Cool on rack.

Note: Bake on bottom shelf to brown bottom of crust.

Good served with vanilla ice cream and sliced banana.


Guests took the bandana "napkins" home as party favors. 

Tales: I picked up these books at the library. I ran across these when searching Amazon for a book for a friend. Yes, I have thousands of books of my own, but these just caught my fancy.




Thoughts and Quotes (again): There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither.  Alan Cohen

So I'm taking a vacation. This week I'm going to ignore all the things which need to be done, and do only the necessary chores. I'm going to have a "Staycation". I'm going to read, make cards, watch TV, and go out to eat. Yes, I'll have a post next week to tell you how it worked out.

TRY A STAYCATION OF YOUR OWN

GET SOME BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARY

EAT OUT EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK

ADOPT A KITTY

WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN

START PLANNING FOR THE 4TH

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE



8 comments:

  1. Patsy, I have to say that I absolutely love your taste! The table scape and the Gingham table cloth are amazing! The food looks delicious and I just love your thrift store finds! I love thrift stores! I think you got some fantastic deals! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I had time to do the yard sales, where you find the REAL bargains.

      Our seasons here are Winter, Spring, Yard Sales, and Autumn.

      Delete
  2. What a great haul at the thrift store. Love the plates and such a bargain price. As always the table and menu are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a plate of that food right now, I'd eat it for breakfast. As a matter of fact, I have a tri-tip in the freezer. I'm going to put it in the frige to thaw right now, and it will be ready to cook by Wednesday. Oops! I was supposed to eat out this week.

      Craigslist has a large collection of that Summer Chintz pattern for $100 right now. Some serving pieces, which I don't usually use, but would love the teapot. Also, wouldn't mind some of the small bowls. But wonder what has happened to all the cups and saucers? Maybe the people who get rid of the dishes save them for display? Who knows.

      Delete
  3. Sorry I've been MIA. I'll email with updates soon. Life taking over again and all. Hope you're enjoying your staycation. Sounds pretty perfect to me! And great job on handling the Stormy situation. Love all of your finds as always. You think of everything and everybody you dreamboat you!! And your "say Howdy" meal was so cute and looked delish!! Sending lots of love to you and Pepper. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about you often, Dear One, and hope you're getting back to normal up there 500 miles north of everything.

      Have you ever read Lilian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who" books? The owner of Koko and Yum-Yum, two Siamese, lived up there near Brrrrr. The local weather forecaster was Wetherby Goode. Darling books. Koko gives clues to owner (Qwill) to help him solve murders.

      Hope you're enjoying the boat by now and planning a big July 4th celebration.

      Love and hugs to you and yours, Patsy

      Delete
  4. Great finds at the thrift store! I love the baskets from your niece, too. The Humane Society is a kill shelter - they only keep them about a week before euthanizing. Please try to find a no-kill shelter - they are listed on the internet. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Humane Society is no-kill. I'd never hand this little darling over to anyone I didn't trust. Right now I'm feeding two feral kitties outside, my rescued injured feral Pepper is an indoor kitty, and now Stormy has become the rescued feral screened-in patio kitty.

      Stormy can't go anywhere until she's socialized. She was cranky at the vet's and she's afraid of anyone who approaches the patio. She rubs against my legs when I feed her, and I can run my hand down her tail, but no petting, please. We have a little ways to go.

      I'd keep her if Pepper could only adjust. I let her in the house for a little while today, and he immediately started trying to herd her back to the patio.

      And then we have Hercules. I'll tell you about him on Sunday.

      Delete