Sunday, December 11, 2016

Week 51, 12-11-2016

Thoughts and Quotes:  Linda used this quote on her blog this week, and I loved it. Love her blog, too, and you can find it HERE


You can, you shall, and if you're brave enough, you will.  Stephen King

And I did. Our new homeowners' association president and his wife are doing a bang-up job, and they sent an email requesting that we all put lights out front of our homes for Christmas. I've never put out lights for Christmas. I didn't have a clue, but I wanted to honor their request. It leaves a lot to be desired, but I did it. This took me all week, so this will be a short post. You're busy anyway with Christmas, so you'll probably be glad.


As you can see, lots of mistakes. The "holes" in front of the blue bushes and the multi-color trees are boxwoods which I didn't decorate. I thought all the lights in the middle would look the same. I didn't know about cool white and warm white. Who knows what they call those in the middle which look green - luckwarm white? Oh, well. I'll know what to do next year, but sure wish I hadn't wasted money on those little spiral trees. Maybe I can put them out by the curb. I'll think about that tomorrow, Scarlett.

Neighbor Martha had a dinner for her Sunday school class. And Martha is class. She's a true Southern Belle - exactly what comes to mind when you think of the gorgeous ladies at The Kentucky Derby. She said that I could post her photo, so here she is, ready for her dinner:


Martha's the one with the beautiful fall decorations in Week 44. Her house is all dressed up again, this time for Christmas. I'll get photos this week. I did, however, take photos of the cake which one of her guests made. That's a tiny log with a cardinal on the first layer.




She had eight in the dining room, six in the breakfast area, and four at a card table. So here are her -

Tablescapes: She even decorates the chandeliers. This is the dining room.





The breakfast area




The card table


The Pepper report: Dr. took his collar off on Monday. I brought him home and the first time my back was turned, he scratched his wound again and made it bleed AND he also scratched his other eye which was healed. I guess the returning hair itched. So far, I haven't had to put the collar on again, but I've told him how the story goes. Scratch again - immediate collar!

Tasting: Friends Joey and Kathy (sisters) have always talked about a casserole called, "Shipwreck", which was something they ate at a friend's house when they were young. Joey duplicated it and sent me the recipe. I'm going to make it tomorrow.

SHIPWRECK

4 to 5 cups raw potatoes, diced
1 med. onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
Enough chicken broth to cover above veggies
1 lb. ground beef, lightly browned and drained
1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked pinto beans, drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained

Prepare 9" x 12" glass casserole dish by adding 2 Tbsp butter or butter substitute and placing in the oven to melt while oven heats to 350 degrees.

Cook potatoes, onions and celery In chicken broth until just tender.  I used Jamison's Chicken Soup Base which is well-seasoned. If using canned broth, season to your taste.
Brown meat until pink is barely gone(it will finish cooking in the oven). Drain.
Drain most of the liquid off the potato mixture (save until you know how much you want to add before baking).  Add meat, beans, you could use canned, and corn, mix and pour into prepared casserole dish. If you want a little more liquid, add some of the reserved broth. 

 Bake 30 min  or until meat is thoroughly cooked. 


I Googled this and found that it's a dish from the 1940's with as many variations as spaghetti sauce. Joey is a great cook, so I think I'll like her version. She created a stew made with summer sausage and lots of veggies which I started calling Joey Stew. When I mention it to people, they all go "Ugh!", until I mention that it's named after the creator and does not contain any baby kangaroos whatsoever.

Tasting again: Hurry up, New Year, when we only eat healthful foods. I was craving fried potatoes one day, so I ate this. I think it's a balanced meal, because it's symmetrical, right?


But even worse - pork steak and mashed potatoes and gravy. The red cabbage is okay, and wow! is it ever delicious. I buy it at Aldi (not always available), and they import it from Germany. Of course, it would be delicious. No one works better with cabbage than the Germans. Don't mean to offend my Russian readers, but I consider Borscht (LOVE IT) a beet dish. In my defense, these plates are luncheon size.


I topped off my week by munching all the scrumptious sugared pecans I received with my card from Carrie of www.northwoodsscrapbook.blogspot.fr when we did our Christmas card exchange.

I'll try to make up for this short blog next week. I still love you, just busy, busy, busy.

KEEP WORKING ON THOSE GOALS
What do you want to accomplish?
What do you want to learn?
Where do you want to go locally?
Which restaurant do you want to try?
Where do you want to travel?
What do you want to buy?
What do you want to do to improve your home?
What do you want to plant?
Which books do you want to read?

DROP SOME MONEY IN THE SALVATION ARMY BUCKETS 

GET ENOUGH SLEEP, TO WARD OFF COLDS AND FLU

CHERISH ANY SUNSHINE WHICH PEEKS THROUGH

HUG YOUR LOVED ONES
 (FURRY ONES, TOO)

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE





8 comments:

  1. Patsy, what a wonderful post! Martha is beautiful! The food looks absolutely scrumptious and the tablescapes are so pretty and heartwarming! And thank you so much for mentioning my blog, I really appreciate your kindness. I hope you had a great weekend. Thank you so much for sharing, I just love your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments. I'm glad you like tablescapes. I'm doing three for a friend tomorrow, and I'm going to tell how to do card table tablescapes on next week's post.

      Delete
  2. The tablescapes are a feast for the eyes, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More coming next week. December surely gets busy.

      Delete
  3. Hey Sweetie!!

    Your lights look absolutely beautiful!! I swear after the way you talked about them I had thoughts of Charlie Brown and low expectations. Lol! But they're beautiful!! You did a great job Lady so give yourself a pat on the back!

    Wow, your friend Martha is quite the fancy pants. Lol! Her home was lovley and you can tell she's a hostess with the mostest. Everything looked beautiful. ;)

    Poor Pepper! I sure hope he heals up once and for all and can leave his owies alone and quit scratching now.

    I'm with you about needing January to come so I quit eating so much good food!! You crack me up with your symmetrical comment. Lol! So happy you did enjoy the pecans Hon! So happy we were matched!! You're such a generous Sweetheart.
    Blessings xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Carrie, my favorite lifter-upper. Your comments always leave me feeling better about myself and my blog.

      Don't know how you fit everything in. I'm running, and running, but still way behind. It's all fun though, so I'll trudge ahead. I know. It's your name - Carry-on Carrie.

      Sending love

      Delete
    2. Aaawww - love the "carry on" part Patsy. Especially because you're even more on the nose than you realize. My middle name is Annie - so I'm Carrie Anne...which truly is a lot like "carry on". Lol xoxo

      Delete
    3. Your mother named you correctly. Hate to tell you, but my mother named me correctly also.

      Delete