Saturday, May 11, 2019

She's Back 5-11-2019

Thoughts and Quotes: Thankfully, I was only sick.  Me

I sat on the couch and stared at the TV for two days. I couldn't force myself to do anything but necessary chores (feed kitties, etc). I was starting to become nervous about this, because I didn't even want to read. I'd seen all those commercials on TV of depressed people who are frozen and can't do anything, and I was beginning to relate. I didn't feel depressed, but was beginning to wonder.

The third day I got up with a sore throat and I didn't want my coffee. Aha! Thank goodness, I was only getting sick. Whew! I don't want to be depressed ever. I'm still coughing, but I'm moving again. I went to lunch with Linda on April 25, and then didn't leave the property again until May 9. This is a great way to avoid spending money, but I don't recommend it. Well, almost avoid spending money - the mowers came, the lawn treatment people came, the utilities kept working, the taxes accrued.

Let's see if I have anything to tell you after all my inactivity. I've missed talking to you.

Thrifting: Before I met Linda for lunch, I dropped by the Senior Center indoor garage sale and found this really great salad spinner for $2. My other one has the spinner knob on the side of the top instead of in the middle, and it goes all wobbly when you're trying to spin the lettuce.


While I was there, I saw this cute idea.


Thank You to Linda: She brought me this cute set, which is just begging for a summer table.


Our lunch was pretty ho-hum, so I didn't even take photos.

Tasting: Before I got sick, I tried a recipe for Cajun Soup, and found it to be a keeper after some minor adjustements.

CAJUN SOUP

1 lb ground beef
1 lb Andouille sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 banana pepper, chopped
5 potatoes, cut in bite-sized pieces
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 qt chicken broth
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 15-oz cans black-eyed peas, undrained
1 15-oz can okra, undrained
1 27-oz can collard greens
Salt and pepper

Brown hamburger and sausage with onion, banana pepper, and celery. Drain grease.

In a large pot, cook the potatoes in just enough water to cover.

When potatoes are almost tender, add balance of ingredients.

Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer a few minutes.

Better the next day.

Invite friends – this makes a lot.  The photo was taken before I made adjustments.



The Pepper and Pals Report: Pepper and Stormy have been begging to go outside. My fault because I let them out when I was working in the yard (pre-sickbed). We've had lots of rain lately, but some sun, so I let them out. I looked out the back window and saw Stormy tossing a snake around. I thought she killed him because he wasn't moving, so I got the camera.


And then he moved! I got the rake and picked him up. I thought he'd been badly injured with his insides exposed, but it turned out to be an earthworm who had someone gotten into the fray and was wrapped around the snake. The worm WAS injured. 

As I was taking the snake to the back fence, he raised up and was looking all around to see if he could figure out where I was taking him. He didn't appear to have a scratch on him. I put him over the fence and then turned around to see Stormy with a look on her face which fit her name. I guess the snake wasn't worth climbing the fence, so she just let it go. And the thing about kitties is that they're so forgiving. She got over being mad at me the minute I said, "Treats!"

Tales: I finished this book while I was sick, and if you can get your hands on a copy, it's really fun reading, as well as a learning experience about the weird things surrounding our presidents.


Tasting: My first day out of the house, I met Bill (brother) and Mim at Ms. Gilmore's Tea room for lunch. It's such a kooky and fun place, with great food.




No, it's not Chihuly; Ms. Gilmore's brother made it.


This one, too. 













Everything on the menu is named after the Springfield stores of days gone by. I had The Three Sisters (a dress shop), and chose a slice of quiche (bacon-spinach), a salad with creamy raspberry dressing, and strawberry soup. The quiche was really good and I'd order it again.



I had my soup for dessert, so was able to forego the dessert tray items.


I went to lunch again the very next day, but unplanned. When Linda and I had lunch, she mentioned that the Senior Center has a little perpetual book sale, and that's where she takes her books. I decided to drop mine off when I went to the market, and they were serving lunch. It looked so good, I stayed. And it was good. I told Linda about it, and we're going next Tuesday and have fish.

Chicken Salad, Pickled Beets, Fruit Salad, Club Crackers, Chocolate Pudding, Iced Tea.


Tasting: Yes, more food. I made a Fruit Cocktail Gelatin Mold yesterday which is a great way to use up that little dab of leftover cream cheese.

LIME FRUIT COCKTAIL MOLD

3 oz cream cheese, softened
3 oz pkg lime gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1/4 mayonnaise
15-1/2 oz can fruit cocktail, drained
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Lettuce, mayonnaise, maraschino cherries to serve

In medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and dry gelatin together.

Add water and stir until dissolved. Refrigerate about an hour to thicken.

Whisk mayonnaise into gelatin mixture.

Stir in fruit cocktail and pecans.

Pour into oiled mold(s) and chill until firm.

Unmold on lettuce and garnish with mayonnaise and cherries.

Recipe makes 4-6 servings.


Things that Grow: I checked my gardens just before I got sick, and brought in my first radish. No telling what they look like now, between the unchecked weeds and bugs. If it isn't raining tomorrow, I'll have to see what can be salvaged.



Thank You: To Nancy for my perfectly beautiful hanging basket she brought for Mother's Day. I didn't want it out in the rain today, so here it is through my window. She's taking me to dinner, but I told her we should wait until next week when things calm down. This weekend has city-wide yard sales everywhere on Saturday; there will be the after church crowds tomorrow, as well as the Mother's Day people. So I'll have Tasting to show you again next week. Poor neglected diet. Too bad. So much good food in this world.


Teaching and Learning: I found this wonderful website with lots of online classes, many free. The site is a little tricky to navigate, but you'll figure it out. Click HERE.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

ENJOY THE RAIN-SUMMER'S COMING

THANK YOU FOR STICKING WITH ME

WISHING YOU SUNSHINE

AND LOTS OF TASTING

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE















2 comments:

  1. Oh my Dearest Auntie! I had no idea you had been THAT sick! But I"m soooo glad that you're feeling better. 💜 Glad you've been back to out and about enjoying wonderful food and goodies. I think I need to invest in a salad spinner one of these days. When I do a salad I often use far too many paper towels. Lol Save the environment, right?

    And you are fearless as well as the best Auntie. Taking on a snake armed with only a rake! You are my hero!! Actually we get those garter snakes here once in a while too. They like to hide under the big stone slab steps on the path we put in a few years ago. Yikes! I"m glad Stormy forgave you though 😊

    That Tea Room looked so cool! And the food looked wonderful. I love funky places like that. And that hanging basket is just gorgeous!! I think I may take my first (of several I'm sure) trip to a greenhouse here the end of the week and grab my flowering baskets to kick off the season too. The grass is getting so green now, the trees are starting to get leaves like crazy and the sun has been shining on the bay. It's time

    Blessings to you and much love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read that you have been ill for so long Patsy, I do hope you are recovering now and getting back to some normality. It was a joy to see the amazing tearoom, what a delightful place to go. I would love it there.

    ReplyDelete