Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter, 4-21-2019

Thoughts and Quotes: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no point being a damn fool about it.         W. C. Fields

That's me - damn fool. I keep thinking I can have a garden, but I always do it wrong. I thought I was so smart, getting so much done. Then it snowed on April 14. My peppers and tomatoes seem to be okay right now, except for that one dying piece of one tomato plant. Time will tell. There may not be a garden in 2020.



Tablescapes: Working on the Easter table - ironing the tablecloth. I always have kitty help when I iron.


Pepper decided that Stormy could handle it. He was busy catching some rays. (Yes, I know I have too many cookbooks).


Remember the bunny I found for $1?


Then I found two packages of plastic eggs in turquoise and blue shades for 19 cents a package at Goodwill. (Told my daughter $ Tree, but they still had the Goodwill stickers on them when I got them out of the Easter box). I thought it might be fun to have a turquoise table. When I started putting it together, I realized there's a hole where an egg won't fit. I don't like that! As a matter-of-fact, I don't like anything about this bunny, but too late about the turquoise - I've gone too far, so turquoise it will be. Back to square one.



This is better







And even better with some food on the table.






Goodbye diet

Ham, Grilled Pineapple, Cheesy Potatoes, Buttered Green Beans, Deviled Egg, Mixed Grain Muffin


Easy-Peasy Coconut Pie


Potatoes, Muffins, and Pie recipes are on the drop-downs.

And I found a new home for the dishes. Can you believe that I'm really letting go of dishes? This will be my last Easter dinner. Time to move on to other things.

And the leaf dishes and glasses are gone, along with a set of plain white dishes.



And then I found these - not in great shape, but only $10, service for six. Well, I just couldn't help it. Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner.




Thank Yous: For some beautiful Easter cards. You can tell before opening them that they're Easter.


And a special thank you to Jean, because she's the only one who found time to make cards this year. She always finds time. (Katie doesn't count because she was sick). And I continued on my hiatus and sent ecards.


Talented Lil' Sis: As you know, my sister-in-law is a professor at Pitt State in Kansas. Her first book was just published, and I'm so in awe of her knowledge and her accomplishments. Just take a look. Not a self-published book like my tea book, but a real contract with a real publisher who will pay her real money.




Time to Buckle Down Again: My diet has suffered this week. I ate out five times and two times it was buffet and two times fast food. And one time I splurged on my Easter dinner (like holiday meals don't count). Oh, ye of little will power. That's me. I didn't do too badly at Chinese buffet - take a look.


Three wing parts, so 1-1/2 wings; lots of veggies (that's raw zucchini I took from the grilling table). Egg drop soup is okay. The bad guys are the egg roll, and the two fried mushrooms - not the mushrooms, just the coating. 

So, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again. I think that's how the song goes. I'm not sure which song, but I do remember this part; probably because I've had to do it so many times.

Things That Grow: With the rain, cold weather, early Easter, and errands, I've sorely neglected the outside. This will be boring, but my daughter is taking Master Gardener classes, and she can give me advice. Skip to the end if you like.

The tomatoes made it through the storm - even a few blossoms.


Cucumbers are coming up.


Radishes are ready to be thinned and a second seeding. The pepper plants are growing.


The extras I put behind the house seem to be doing okay, but of course I planted one where a hosta is coming up (it wasn't at the time).


Don't believe it if you read that seeds are viable for several years. The 2017 seeds they gave me at the garden show are not working. Lettuce is doing okay. Ready for a second planting.


I planted two cauliflower plants to see how they grow here.


Looks as if the cabbage needs a squirt of Sevin.


I think I planted the asparagus too close to the fence. I don't know what I'm doing.


The peonies are budding already. Wonder why they're so "leggy".


All the daffodils are at the ugly stage and the tulips are on their last legs.


And I have a bazillion seeds left to plant; better get with it. And the weeds are preparing an attack.

HAVE A LOVELY EASTER

PLANT A FEW TOMATOES

MAYBE SOME FLOWERS

APRIL SHOWERS WILL WATER FOR YOU

PLAN THAT BEACH VACATION

AND HERE'S SOME ADVICE FROM A TREE
Stand tall and proud
Drink plenty of water
Sink your roots into the earth
Go out on a limb
Be content with the natural beauty
Remember your roots
Enjoy the view

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE









1 comment:

  1. Hi Dearest!
    What a bummer about that snow. I hope that everything will still thrive. I can completely understand about hanging up the garden tools in the future. It is a lot of work. I think you're doing a great job though! I do my much smaller container version on the deck. Easier to maintain and keep critters away.

    I think your $1 bunny is adorable and turned out really cute! And you're absolutely right that holiday calories don't count one bit. ;) Yep, just pick up and start again. And don't forget to pat yourself on the back for all the times you're really good! All that gardening burns caloreis too ya know. Lol

    How awesome about your SIL! Sounds like one smart cookie. No wonder your'e so proud ;)

    Love all the kitty help you get. Looks like they're doing well. - give them kisses from us up north girls.

    Love seeing your flower pics. I"m just started to see tulips come up around town. That's how far behind you were are up here. It's lovely today though and I've been soaking up sunbeams. It's wonderful! Blessings to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete