Tuesday, November 9, 2021

I'm Back

Thoughts and Quotes: If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.
                                                 Andrew Carnegie

I've had some bumps on my road of life, but by and large, I've been very happy. Perhaps it's because I've been setting goals? As a teen and young adult, I had a couple of mental goals. I wanted to be independent and not poor. As that worked out well, I should have wanted to be independent and rich. By the time I reached my thirties, I had started making a written list of  goals at the beginning of each year. A list of things to do, buy, see, taste, smell, experience which makes life exciting. And what a feeling of accomplishment when you check a goal off your list and say "Done!" As Covid seems to be fading into the past, I'm ready for a new and wonderful year. I checked the calendar and saw that my list might be bigger than my remaining years, so I need to hit the ground running in 2022, and keep on pushing if I want lots of checkmarks.

The new year is right around the corner. Time to start your list - I've already started.

Tasting and Thrifting: I just had a visit from David, a friend I met on a trip to China. He was here a week and we did lots of both. We had at least one meal out everyday.

Keeter Center - we checked out the gift shop before lunch; really fun items for fall.














Always a few fresh flowers on your table, yeast rolls and raisin scones,  butter and homemade apple butter.




We both chose Chicken-Fried Chicken - my favorite (mashed potatoes under the chicken).


I loved seeing the dairy cows; they're usually off in another field.



First trip to Victoria's Tea Room - David had the lunch I've shown before.


And I had Strawberry Chicken


Under the chicken is rice and quinoa.


We both had the Garden Vegetable-Beef Soup


And we chose the Lady Lavender Tea, which is Earl Grey with added lavender, vanilla, and orange peel.

Victoria's the second time. We chose Blue Eyes tea, which is black tea with apples, hibiscus, and rose hips. It's a delicate pink color, and I loved my teacup.


David had Bubble Tea - I think it was strawberry.


The soup was Chicken-Pesto - a little messy looking, but good.


David had the Strawberry Chicken and I had Parmesan Chicken. And I am so stealing this lettuce idea.


Spring Creek Tea Room - I had a Chicken Salad half-sandwich and Strawberry Soup, because we were having early dinner.


Texas Roadhouse - my usual Roadkill with a Caesar Salad. Roadkill is a ground beef patty, smothered in grilled onions and mushrooms and topped with Monterey Jack cheese. 


We visited five thrift stores.

I bought books - all $1 or less







Wall art - $6


$1 Coffee mugs



$2 Coffee mug


$2 Tea cup with insert


Teapots - $3 each; the blue one is a prettier shade than the photo shows.



Napkin Rings - $4.50; beaded and new in a sweet bag. The tag was still on them, so I checked the internet (www.alwayselegant.com), and they were originally $15, on sale for $10.


Tablecloths - $1.25 each





$5.49 for a tablecloth and five placemats.


Well, you were going to wash it anyway.


$5.49 for a runner, six placemats, and a napkin. New with tags from Waterford.


$2 for four placemats.


50 cents each


4 of these






75 cents each



$1 each





$1.25 Soft kitty blanket


$2



$3 Plastic handle


$5 Glass handle


Thank Yous: When Mim and I were canvassing, I commented on the pretty white mums, and that I hadn't seen white ones this year. A few days later, she brought me this.


And to David, who reads a lot and brought me some books he liked, along with a DVD of the Downton Abbey movie he enjoyed.






Sorry I'm running late - here's your November Bucket List. I've crossed off only one item so far, but I'm stocking up each time I go to the market and I'm forever grateful.

NOVEMBER BUCKET LIST

Start your Christmas shopping 

Make a pumpkin pie 

Get out your winter clothes 

When you wake up, thank God for a new day and all your blessings 

Put the electric blanket on the bed 

Invite friends for a fall lunch 

Buy a turkey for now or later 

Make real cranberry sauce – not the stuff in the can 

Try a new soup recipe 

Tuck up with a cozy throw, a good book, and a cup of hot chocolate 

Invite friends over for games 

Buy some fall flowers 

Go out for lunch at a restaurant you’ve never tried 

Eat apple slices dipped in caramel 

Have grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch 

Stock up on non-perishables to avoid going out in the icy cold 

Make apple crisp 

Spend an afternoon at the library 

Vote on the 2nd

MAKE GRATITUDE A HABIT

GO OUT TO ENJOY THE AUTUMN COLOR

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER

EAT YOUR GREENS

SPREAD LOVE WHEREVER YOU GO

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE






















2 comments:

  1. Good evening Patsy
    I'm wondering if You've eaten at Nearly Famous Deli.
    Seeing your goal of tomato soup and grilled cheese.... the deli tomato soup they have is my favorite...chunks of tomato.... and the very famous salad is spectacular in my humble opinion.
    Their quiche is also a favorite of mine.
    Thanks Bus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried the salad, but I will. My favorite is the Lemon Blueberry Cake. My friend Katie loves the tomato soup, but I've never tried it. I do have a pretty good recipe on the drop downs above. It's Creamy Tomato-Basil, and you have to scroll down a long way. It's part of a very long post. I've made a promise to myself to go out for lunch at least once a week, so I'll be headed for Nearly Famous for sure.

      Delete