Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Malta,5-26-2020

Travel: Friend Susan is planning a trip to Malta, and I started to email her some photos, but too many, so here's a short blog post instead.


I was on a cruise and we docked in Valletta. I loved the look of the port, and the church on the hill.


Remember this guy out in the harbor.


We docked and right away I was taken by the structured look of the place.


The people in the foreground are on the back of our ship.



Remember the ship in the harbor? Here he comes. How would you like to park that baby?


We took a bus up to Mdina, a walled city - the place with the church on the hill. There were a few carriages, but we walked.


Walking gave me a chance to say hello to all the kitties.







Such a neat little walled city, but I saw only one tiny boutique, and a small supplies store. Of course, we didn't tour the entire place.













And it was getting even better, as they were putting the overhead wires underground.


There's a walkway with benches, but you can only see the view by standing.








Guess the virus won't bother them too much, as they're already very isolated. And then the beautiful little church, one of my favorites.








Back down the hill to the city of Valetta, where the church wasn't nearly as impressive.





I can never get used to walking on tombs.




We saw the retail area, but I was more impressed with this little park with a bust of Winston Churchill to honor his special relationship with Malta. He visited Malta six times; one trip to meet President Franklin Rossevelt in early 1945 to plan the final campaign against the Germans. I don't know why he went the other five times, but someone wrote a book about it, so maybe I'll get around to reading it someday, and then I'll know.



Great views from this area.





No one could tell me what was important that day, but a long black limousine of people sped by (no time for a photo), and these guys were waiting for something.



And someone said this was a palace, as we drove by, but no further information.



The British gave Malta independence in 1964, and they joined the European Union in 2004. I do know that they have nice fountains and funny buses.





Maybe Susan will tell us more when she returns. 

In the meantime, here are better photos than mine. Click HERE and HERE and HERE.
And don't forget that you can click on all the headings at each of these links.

PLAN A TRIP SOMEWHERE FUN

STAY SAFE UNTIL THE VIRUS IS GONE

USE SUN SCREEN IF YOU GO OUT

STAY HYDRATED

EAT YOUR GREENS

AND AN APPLE A DAY

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Of course you photographed cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness that took me back. I went to Malta 40 years ago before we got married with a group of girl friends. Such a beautiful place to visit with so much history. Hope all is well with you. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete