Monday, September 16, 2019

Dakotas Trip Day One: Sunday, September 8, 2019

Thoughts and Quotes: Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.
                                                    Seneca, Greek Philosopher


So true, and I'm happy that I'm finally on the road again, working on my Bucket List. But my Bucket List has been revised. When I had the melt-down on my 68th birthday (realized that I'm not immortal), I made a new Bucket List to see all the presidential libraries, homes, and burial places, all the state capitols, and all the National Parks. I realized that if I were going on vacation for enjoyment, a lot of the National Parks would not qualify. So - the ones which don't appeal or are difficult to reach are off the list. 

Brother Bill graciously agreed to accompany me on the trip, and he's an excellent travel mate. We had a great time. So we're off to Nebraska, Wyoming, North and South Dakota.  Kansas was on the list but we didn't make it. More on that later.

I know you're wondering about the kitties. Stormy and Pepper were boarded at the vet, and a neighbor fed the ferals. I really enjoyed my freedom from kitties for a few days, but so happy to bring them home. Stormy was so happy to see me, she wouldn't leave my side. I left my bedroom door open the first night home, and I woke to find Stormy snuggled up on one side and Pepper on the other. I had a sheet over me, and they were like stakes pinning me to the bed.

This is Day One - Nixa, MO to North Platte, NE

We stopped for lunch at The Big Biscuit in St. Joseph, MO. You knew you'd have to look a food photos, didn't you?

Bill had breakfast for lunch


And I had a pork tenderloin sandwich


They have cute paper napkin rings for wrapping the napkins and silverware. It's a chain, which we try to avoid, but decided that chains we'd never visited were acceptable. Sometimes we don't know until we ask.


On to the Nebraska capitol. This is the front.


And the back.


A distant view.


That guy on top is The Sower. He's hand casting his seeds, and his pedestal is made of corn and wheat. And they have a lot of both in Nebraska. 

My camera didn't do well in the rotunda, but you can see the wonderful tile work on the floor.








The chandelier and dome.



The state offices are still located in the capitol. Some states have moved the offices to newer buildings to avoid the costly wiring for computers, etc.

One of the chambers


One hall is lined with murals. They're high up, so difficult to photograph.







And busts of famous Nebraskans.

Buffalo Bill - hero or villain? I vote villain, as he promoted the slaughter of the bison, almost bringing about their extinction.



John J. Pershing



Decided I could use my flash; Willa Cather, author of many books about life on the prairie including O! pioneer and My Antonia.



Father Flanagan, founder of Boys Town


Red Cloud, one of the leaders of the Oglala Lakota


And I don't know this guy (Robert Furness), but what a wonderful, dapper bust.


Surely William Jennings Bryan was here somewhere. I must have missed him.

The courtyard (fountain in the middle). 



The outside is covered with bas relief sculptures.






There are lots of inscriptions both inside and out. I picked up a printed list, but couldn't photograph it, so have chosen a few of my favorites.

Honour to pioneers who broke the sods that men to come might live. Honour to citizens who build an house of state where men live well.  H. B. Alexander

Inscriptions by the bison: In beauty I walk, with beauty before me I walk, with beauty behind me I walk, with beauty above and about me I walk. Navaho Hymm

Arise with the dawn, bathe in the morning sun, sleep when the birds no longer fly, awake when the first faint dawn appears.  Sioux Lore

As onward we wend, thinking of our children, many trails of buffalo we behold, many trails of life. Pawnee Ritual Song

Political society exists for the sake of noble living.  Aristotle

Men should not think it slavery to live according to the rule of the constitution for it is their salvation.  Aristotle

The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and alter their constitutions of government; but the constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all: the very idea of the power and the right of the people to establish government presupposes the duty of every individual to obey the established government. From George Washington's Farewell Address

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right; let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan; to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.  From Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address

And there he was, looking as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, as indeed he did; at least his world.   






I said to Bill, "I wonder why they have a statue of Lincoln"? and then it hit me. Duh! Lincoln, Nebraska

For even better photos of the capitol click HERE. There are tabs at the top to view different parts.

The governor's mansion is right across the street.



With these hands on either side.



And this beautiful church across the street.



Then off to North Platte, NE to spend the night. The water heater was broken where we had reservations, so we checked into the Best Western, and I highly recommend it. They bent over backwards to be sure I had a quiet room. Little did I know that I could have chosen any room. That town shuts down early and goes right to sleep. I was worried about the trains, but didn't hear even one. 

We had dinner at another chain, but didn't know it until we asked. Alphanso, our waiter, was funny and cute and very friendly. 






I don't remember which steak Bill ordered, but I had a small sirloin. I eat mine well done, so it's going to be tough and dry, no matter what I choose.




      I'd never seen bread like this before. It was half white and half pumpernickel.

I heard Antonio tell the people at the next table, "Would you like some possum pie? We serve it with the tail on."  So I told him, "You didn't ask us if we wanted possum pie." And he said, "Do you want some? I'll put in the order." No, it wasn't a joke - they really do serve possum pie, but not what you'd think. It's dessert. No way. It looks so sweet, I get a headache just looking at the photo.


Nebraska has no presidential sites nor national parks, so put a pin on the map.

End of Day One - tomorrow we're off to South Dakota by way of Wyoming.











          













1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tour you took us on, I have seen through your eyes lots of places I will never be able to visit to it is a joy to share your travels from my armchair.

    ReplyDelete