Saturday, June 22, 2019

Summer is Here! 6-23-2019

Thoughts and Quotes: One must maintain a little bit of summer, even in the middle of winter.  Henry David Thoreau
Start a summer journal and take lots of photos to remind you of the golden days when the snow flies.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?  William Shakespeare
Attend a play in the park.

Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.   Henry James
Serve lunch or tea under the trees.

And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.  F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Update your goals and make the second half of the year a new beginning.

Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.  Sam Keen
Put up a hammock.

Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air, and you.  Langston Hughes
Take a walk in the rain and sing about it. It's okay; Gene Kelly wasn't much of a crooner either.

Time for Fun: Here's my Summer Bucket List.

Take a Sunday afternoon nap - often.

Read a "just for fun" book each week.

Make a different salad every week.

Visit a farmers' market.

Picnic in the park.

Dine al fresco.

Enjoy a root beer float.

Take an evening stroll.

Buy some flip-flops.

Watch a "summer" movie on TV.

Have friends over to play games.

Make a new flavored iced tea.

Give the car a thorough cleaning.

Write a letter to an old friend.

Grab a friend and go to the mall - eat in the food court.

Make cards. 

Watch fireworks on the 4th.

Browse a bookstore or the library.

Make a chiffon cake or two or three.

Crochet some doilies - embroider some dish towels.

New summer door wreath.

Feel free to use my list or make your own.  Here are some suggestions:

Click HERE.  Or HERE. Or HERE. Or HERE.

Tasting: I've been very busy eating. In the past couple of weeks, I've been to Rosie Jo's, Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Alice Irene's, Texas Roadhouse, Beth's Bake Shoppe, Ms. Gilmore's Tea Room, a cookout at a retirement center, the Senior Center, Taco Bell, and McDonald's.

And here are the photos of the food from the overdue Cinco de Mayo lunch; see the 6-2-19 post.



Then I invited some friends to afternoon tea.



This was the Spring tea. Made it! and two days to spare before summer. I made some rather unorthodox food this time.

Salami-pickle rolls, veggie sticks in Ranch, ham and pineapple wrap.



Almond cookies, Cranberry-pecan cookies, Brickle bread.


Raspberry scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam.


Radish and butter, Cucumber and cream cheese, Egg salad tea sandwiches.


Chicken Salad on Biscuit crusts


Lemon Glazed Cake


Banana mini-trifles


Russell Stover French mints


I used the dogwood dishes for spring, and now they're gone, along with the pepper dishes. Told you I was going to declutter.








Thrifting: The retirement home where I attended a cookout is in Marionville (the home of the white squirrels). We had a tour - never too soon to decide where you're going to be if you have to leave your home. I really liked it there. They have a thrift store and a library, cloth napkins at each meal when you graduate to assisted living. What more could a girl desire? Of course, I had to visit the thrift store, and found these fun little treasures for 25 cents each.





I used this one aleady - the chocolates for the tea.


See - they're all small.


Things that Grow: Just brought in cucumbers, cherry and Roma tomatoes, turnips, peas. I have lettuce, but didn't need it right now.


The Pepper and Pals Report: BJ brought in three kittens, a white and gray spotted, and two gray. One gray is already missing.




They're already destroying the flower pots. An early litter had already mangled this tree, so oh, well.  The screens are sun resistant, so I can see them, but they can't see me and get spooked.



Stormy didn't like her cat post, so she gave it to Pocket and Veronica. They think it's great. They started exploring immediately.


Isn't Veronica a lovely little lady?


She and Pocket are so cute together.


Of course, Stormy just can't seem to relax.


The regular janitor (possum) has disappeared, so his supervisor has taken over - ill-mannered guy; he eats with his hands.



Sometimes he sends his helpers. One looks normal. . .



And the other is definitely different. I hope he doesn't get teased.





Time to Celebrate: This week I hit a milestone. My blog has now been viewed in 100 countries. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't a clue where some of them are located.

Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Argentina
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Belarus
Belgium
Bolivia
Brazil
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Czechia
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatamala
Honduras
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Iraq
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jersey
Kenya
Kosovo
Kyrgyzstan
Latvia
Lebanon
Lithuania
Macau
Macedonia
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Mexico
Moldova
Morocco
Nepal
New Zealand
Nigeria
Norway
Pakistan
Palestine
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
South Korea
South Sudan
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
The Netherlands
Turkey
Turkmenistan
UK
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates (Dubai)
USA
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Vietnam
Zimbabwe


I'm trying to declutter, so my posts will be few and short for awhile. Don't give up on me.

WORK ON YOUR SUMMER BUCKET LIST

HUG YOUR KIDS

PLAN A TROPICAL VACATION

STAY HYDRATED

USE SUN SCREEN

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE















7 comments:

  1. Hello dearest beautiful Auntie O Mine! I'm so sorry this week completely got away from me. Then we were gone friday and until last night. Such is summer living when one is living in the moment. 😊
    I love your tea and I truly want to do some sort of summer tea in the near future here. You are always cordially invited and will always be part of those moments with us in spirit. I will share pics when we do it. And of course our Christmas in July will be practically around the corner.
    You sure have a lot of interesting furry visitors. Yowzers! Lol And a lot of blog visitors. So impressive!! 😊
    I have other things to share and catch you up on but they need to be saved for an email. I will send one soon. Love ya to the moon and back. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Summer! Enjoyed reading your post. Those are some interesting helpers on your patio. Your tea looks wonderful. Good luck with the decluttering, I need to do that. Hope you are finishing up a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Jean. Decluttering has taken over my life, but it has its rewards. I'm finding things I thought I'd lost and other things I totally forgot buying.

      You should try it, but if you have lots of clothes, as I do, tackle it color by color or it's overwhelming. I work on clothes for awhile, then invite friends over and get rid of the dishes I used, then I work on organizing my handwork, etc. That way, you don't get sick of it.

      Let me know how you're progressing. I'll feed on your successes to keep me going.

      Delete
  3. I need to start my list of what I want to achieve this Summer, you are ahead of me on that. You have some great patio visitors, what a joy to see so many little creatures. Another great haul at the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try so hard to stay away from thrift stores, but when decluttering, I'm there to donate, so I do a little shopping. Can't help myself.

      I'm so far behind on all your news. Will try to catch up soon. What you do in a day would take me a week. Maybe it's the ocean air. Maybe I should move to an island. Hmmmmmmm.......

      Delete
  4. We love Rosie joes chicken fried chicken! We love that it is a family run restaurant. Last time we were there, the owner came out and thanked everyone for coming. Our son in law was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer. We’ve been spending a lot of time at cox south. Then I came down with pneumonia. I’m hoping to get back on my feet shortly. Love your posts! Got any other mom and pop places to eat? Have a great day! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Wonder if we were there at the same time, because the owner came out to say thanks when we were there. Or maybe it's a new practice. Chicken-fried chicken is my favorite as well.

      The Market House Cafe on the square in Ozark has great food with daily specials. Open Tues-Sat 7:00 to 2:00. Try the chicken tenders with French fries. Best fries I've ever had. The owner is Barbara and you'll love her.

      Thank you for your comment. Wishing you a speedy recovery and prayers for your son-in-law.

      I heard about a place in Highlandville I'm going to try. If it's a winner, I'll post it.

      Delete