Monday, October 22, 2018

10-22-2018 Nixa Thrift Store Sale

Tasting: I made a banana cream pie for Steg, and Martha and I were discussing cooking methods. In the south, when making the cream filling, they add the egg yolks right away instead of after it's thickened. Sure would save time. I'll try it next pie.

BANANA CREAM PIE



1 unbaked 9” pie shell
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

2-1/2 Tbs cornstarch

1 Tbs flour

3 cups milk

3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 Tbs butter
1-1/2 tsps vanilla
3 egg whites
6 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 475°.  Prick pie shell and bake 6-8 minutes to brown. Remove and cool.

Mix the sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add the milk.

Cook and stir over medium heat until it boils. Boil 1 minute. Slowly stir half into the egg yolks, then add back to saucepan. Boil 1 minute more.

Remove from heat and add butter. When melted, stir in 1-1/2 tsps vanilla. Cool.

Whip egg whites and gradually add sugar after stiff peaks form. Than beat in 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Cover pie, being sure to seal at piecrust edge. Brown in 400° oven 8-10 minutes.

Chill at least 2 hours before serving.


I made Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes for National Chocolate Cake Day (recipe on drop downs)


The Pepper and Pals Report: I got Pepper and Stormy a new flavor of treats for Global Cat Day. Stormy Weather Pretty Paws got a new mousie. It looked like this.


She immediately grabbed it.


And a little later it looked like this.


My little Roly-Poly Pepperpot enjoying some sun in the window.


I put the carriers in the screened patio as the nights are getting colder. Flower always sleeps in one at night, and then he sits or sleeps on top of one part of the day.


Tales: Greene County had their library book sale this week, and I picked up this new author.  Selma Eichler. Anyone know her?  Do you like her?


Tidbits: Our trees are starting to turn. I hope to get out for some photos this coming week.


Thrifting: Joey and I went to lunch at Canton Buffet and then to the thrift store in Nixa.


They were having a wonderful sale. Anything made of clear glass was 25 cents - all baskets were 25 cents.

Everything here was 25 cents each


Some close-ups









Salad size 25 cents


Sprouting jar 25 cents


Teapot - $4


Drawer organizer - $1


Mary Engelbreit napkin rings 25 cents each


Ceramic napkin rings - 25 cents each


6 cloth coasters in a wooden box - 50 cents


2 candles - 25 cents/small cup for sweetener packets - 50 cents 


Pumpkin ceramic napkin rings - 50 cents each


Pepper napkin rings - 25 cents each (My pepper collection is growing).


Large basket tray with removable pad - 25 cents (damaged corner I didn't notice; think I can fix it)


Navy scarf - 50 cents. I think I'm the only one who wears old-fashioned scarves now.


Snowman votive candle lamp - $1


Glass beads necklace - $3


Summer hat - $2


Rubber stamps - 25 cents each


2 packs computer paper - 25 cents each


Theme Dining: Have you eaten something at Walt Disney World which was so yummy you wanted to be able to make it at home? Now you can. Click HERE.

Taking Care of Your Health: Mim shared a link about the benefits of drinking warm lemon water, but I lost it. This may not be the one she sent, but it has sixteen reasons why we should. Click HERE.

Theme Dining: I'm working on the Sailing, sailing. . . dinner. The invitations. This is redo of a dinner I made for my brothers and nephew.


I can't find these candleholders on the premises. Maybe I passed them on.


The table was supposed to be funny.



And in those days, I didn't take proper photos of the food. Just reminders in case I wanted to do it again.





Here's the do-over table






Need another photo from this angle - crooked knife.


To be continued next post.

MAKE A WISH ON THE FULL HUNTER'S MOON ON OCTOBER 24

GET YOUR HALLOWEEN COSTUME READY

TAKE A FRIEND TO LUNCH

DRINK WARM LEMON WATER

AND PLAIN WATER

AND COFFEE

AND TEA

THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE











4 comments:

  1. My goodness what a haul from the thrift store and such bargains, I was amazed at the glass at 25c per item. I loved the snowman candle holder. The new do over theme of sailing was a victory, so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrift store had an abundance of clear glass, so I made a haul. Some of the pieces are worth so much more.

      So far behind on your posts. Will catch up soon. Taking advantage of the weather to do yard work.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy reading your posts so much. With the chocolate pie I make, I add the egg yolks after the base thickens...doesn't seem quite right to me to add them in with everything else but maybe it would work? Lots of great finds at your thrift store. Trees are starting to change here as well. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm always happy to see you in my comments. If I try the new egg yolk method, I'll give you a report. Right now I'm working on Sailing, sailing. . . food.

      Delete